Tubing cutter for EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

Anybody here use a tubing cutter to cut EMT? A guy that just started with me used one of these today:
tubingcutterdetail_main.jpg

I asked him to not use it on my jobs, though he told me bought it at an electrical supply house. So I looked at it online and the spec's say 'copper cutting'.
But then I found this, which states that it can be used on 'thin-walled conduit' :
rtc623.jpg

Still just looks like a tubing cutter on steroids.
http://malcoproducts.com/product/hvacr/service/tubing-tools/tube-cutters-ratchet-action#

iwire

Staff member
There is no NEC rule against using a tubing cutter.

There is this

358.28 Reaming and Threading.
(A) Reaming. All cut ends of EMT shall be reamed or
otherwise finished to remove rough edges.

badabing

I am actually working on a job right now where I have to move conduits that have data cables in them over a few inches to a box and I'm using that Red tool that you posted. It actually works really well. I did buy the greenlee tubing cutter that just seemed to kink the pipe and make weird cuts, mostly because I can only get to 2/3 of the pipe, not enough to make full cuts around it. The red tool lets me make full cuts around the pipe in tight spots.

Jim W in Tampa

I like the looks of the red one. Looks like it would limit the depth of cut. I carried a tubing cutter with me but usually leave it in truck. Not something i used often but sometimes its the only easy way to get done.

cadpoint

Do these new style cutters NOT shrink the end of the conduit as it cuts, a typical plumbers pipe cutter always seemed to do that ?

Seems that's why there's more rollers on...

Gee maybe I'm over thinking it... :grin:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Anybody here use a tubing cutter to cut EMT? A guy that just started with me used one of these today:
tubingcutterdetail_main.jpg

I asked him to not use it on my jobs, though he told me bought it at an electrical supply house. So I looked at it online and the spec's say 'copper cutting'.

Just curious, why would you ask him not to use the cutter?

220/221

Probably because of the edge it leaves.

There are cutters designed for EMT. If I use a standard cutter, I just stop short and snap the conduit to minimize the edge.

I still find the hack saw or sawsall the easiest way to cut conduit. To much effort to spin the cutter around. I only use it when there are conductors in place.

Barndog

I would not use a normal pipe cutter for EMT. It messes up the pipe in my experance. i would like to try the other to see how it works. I normally use a hack saw to cut my conduit.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I have the Greenlee 8600.
11915.JPG

I use it only for cutting pipe with conductors in it like 220/221 or in spots where I cannot get a hacksaw or sawzall in.

My guys would over tighten while cutting and flare the emt inward. That would be my only complaint or caution.

You can leave the tool on (as a wedge) and snap the pipe.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I just used mine today. The trick is to not cut all the way through, just far enough to allow the EMT to be snapped over your knee or in your bender for short cuts. If you do it right it leaves no ridge inside the pipe.

If you go too shallow you bend the pipe instead of snapping it in two. If you go too deep a quick reaming out with the handles of your channel locks or an old unibit cleans it up.

I tried the Greenlee cutter and found it more likely to leave a ridge inside the pipe.

JES2727

I wasn't comfortable with the edge it left inside the pipe. I tried it myself. I felt it was too time consuming to ream the edge to a point where it didn't feel sharp.
But maybe it's all in the technique.

Len

cutters

cutters

I have been using copper tubing cutters on small emt for years. No problems, just treat the same as if you were using a band saw. still have to ream interior.

GlennG

I bought the Klein tools version only because i had conductors in the pipe i was cutting back and i couldnt remove them. It works well for that application but other than that its too time consuming and its very easy to distort the end of the pipe if not careful. For a normal installation you cant go wrong with a sawzall and a reaming tool, quick and perfect every time!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I wasn't comfortable with the edge it left inside the pipe. I tried it myself. I felt it was too time consuming to ream the edge to a point where it didn't feel sharp.
But maybe it's all in the technique.
If you cut all the way through like a plumber would then it does leave a ridge and I would agree is a pain to ream. But partway through and a snap to break the pipe on the scored line leaves no ridge inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.