Marina Dock wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Anybody ever wire a new marina dock? This will be on a lake and I was wondering how you wire a floating dock. Drawings show 2" PVC looping between light bollards on the dock.

Mike Lang

I usually use UF and non metallic seal-tite. We've tried PVC although with salt water and sunlight the straps break when using pvc, and rust away when using metal. Also the glued joints were breaking after time. We use stainless screws and staples. We've also used a home made pocket made out of fire hose to lay the wire in underneath the dock along the framing.

cadpoint

Even though it sounds like these are engineered drawings, I would look up your state and try to see if any resources exist. Private lake is one matter - public is another ball stadium! If the US Army Corps is involved your not going to Disney World.

Don't let any sand get in your shoes... :grin:

rodneee

everybody knows electricians don't wire docks

everybody knows electricians don't wire docks

Anybody ever wire a new marina dock? This will be on a lake and I was wondering how you wire a floating dock. Drawings show 2" PVC looping between light bollards on the dock.

unlike me, you must be frequenting high end marinas...everytime a storm strikes my marina the floating docks get wasted...i never see an electrical contractor...the asst manager and gas pump lad make all the repairs...their theory must be "that if the stuff works all is OK"...i am sure they thought i was acting like a "know it all" when i told them really should purchase some new UF wire instead of anything they could find in their storage shed...i won't see them until april, but i will surely ask them how it is done and relay their expertise back to you...

laketime

If it is a corps of engineers lake, they have their own rules and regulations.

It is an army core of engineers controlled lake but the marina is owned by the city parks department. I was wondering how do you fun 2" PVC in a dock the is floating. Are they constructed on dry land then just floated into place? How do you make the connections between sections, swim?

Mike Lang

It is an army core of engineers controlled lake but the marina is owned by the city parks department. I was wondering how do you fun 2" PVC in a dock the is floating. Are they constructed on dry land then just floated into place? How do you make the connections between sections, swim?

We use a floating barge that we would just push around with a piece of pipe (The water was usually no more than 6').
I can only imagine the responses to this one (don't you know anything about electrical safety etc... blah blah blah) Sometimes in the summer months we would stand in the water either with wadders or if it was hot enough in shorts and run the wire/ pipe. No the lines weren't even connected to a live panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.