Seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coming up out of slab where first 18" is classified (class 1 div 2) I just have to put a seal after the 18" before my outlets. right? Gal pipe through classified area

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The answer is application sensitive. Is this in a garage or fuel dispensing location? If not, describe the facilities a little better.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Section 511.9 refers back to Section 501.15 with special reference to 501.15(B)(2). This is good because there are a several exceptions to 501.15(B)(2). The one you are interested in is Exception No. 1. If more than 12? of the RMC stub-up is underground and it runs 12? past the upper boundary ? you don?t need any seals at all. Otherwise, you need an aboveground seal within 10? of grade (the lower boundary).

A minor caution: review Section 511.7 for some additional requirements for wiring and equipment above the Division 2 location. It probably won?t affect anything you plan to do already but it?s a good idea to check.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I meant 10 ft. See the main rule in 501.15(B)(2). If the outlets are at 36" above grade and at least 12" of the RMC is below grade, no seals are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.