Recepticle placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

I have a 11' long bathromm countertop with 3 individual drop-in sinks. I have a GFI on each end of the counter top to service the 2 outer sinks, do I need to add an additional GFI in the center to service the middle sink? The middle sink is over 3' from the edge of the sink to the 2 outer GFI's. This set up is in a commercial building.

Thanks

VIC1958

Recepticle placement

The building I'am speaking of is a health club and the GFI recepticles are being used at the sinks in the shower/dressing rooms.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would add a receptacle in the middle, provided of course there is a backsplash (and not a mirror) that would provide the space. I would power it from one of the other GFCIs, rather than put in a separate GFCI receptacle. It is not required, as the others have pointed out. But I think the owner, and the users, would prefer to have the option. Just make sure you get paid for the extra work.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I kind of go along with Charlie on this one. If you are going to put them in I would probably cover all bases. Don't want the guy in the middle to have to run a cord across the other guys sinks if he using an electric razor or a hair dryer.

growler

Don't want the guy in the middle to have to run a cord across the other guys sinks if he using an electric razor or a hair dryer.

This is true but as the fire inspector ( Vic's profile) Vic can't write them up for not having a receptacle for the middle sink but he could write them up for useing an extension cord ( If he catches them).

Life can be frustrating.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The building I'am speaking of is a health club and the GFI recepticles are being used at the sinks in the shower/dressing rooms.

Still not required. The requirement you mention is for residential receptacles in bathrooms. In other than dwelling no receptacles are required but if you use them they must be gfci protected so you are good to go.

Jim W in Tampa

As been said none are required. Why as a fire inspector are you even looking at this item ? I understand looking for hazards that might start fires and exit and emg lights. Is it not safe to assume this place has had an electrical inspector ? Why are yo doing his job ?

roger3829

This is true but as the fire inspector ( Vic's profile) Vic can't write them up for not having a receptacle for the middle sink but he could write them up for useing an extension cord ( If he catches them).

Life can be frustrating.

What is wrong with using an extension cord? They are designed for temporary use. The could run the cord into another room even.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
What is wrong with using an extension cord? They are designed for temporary use. The could run the cord into another room even.
It is not an NEC issue, and I don't know if OSHA has any relevant rules, but it might be considered "bad form" to run an extension cord over a sink.

growler

What is wrong with useing an extension cord? This is a commercial building and open to the public. People don't normally carry an extension cord in their gym bag.

If the Fire Inspector were to see people useing an extension cord and say a hair dryer he will not see this as a temporary use. He will see this as substitute for permanent wiring. If one guy dries his hair and uses a cord what's the next club memeber going to use? The same cord. Now this cord is replacing a permanent wiring need.

If people don't use electrical appliances at the location then no problem but if they are allowed to do so and an extension cord is provided as a substitute for permanent wiring then a receptacle would be needed.

I have been over this with a few Fire Marshals in my time. If I run a cord out to use a drill that's temporary. If I run a cord out for a fan that's going to be there all summer that's not temporary. If people use a cord as a permanent solution for drying hair at a public sink that's not temporary.

I do admit that you can look at this situation in many different ways but I think that if you are caught the fire inspector will write it up ( just to cover himself ) and tell you to remove the cord and then you can do whatever you want after he leaves. The liability will be on the owner.

This is a health club with shower, people will be drying hair and it's a very poor design not to have a receptacle there.

tmason

I do believe the code states their is a receptacle required for each bowl in a bath room but that is residential not sure on the commercial

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I do believe the code states their is a receptacle required for each bowl in a bath room. . . .
Close, but not quite. Each basin has to have a receptacle within 3 feet. But they can share. Two basin's can have a single receptacle in the space between them, if they are close enough to each other. You are right in that this is a rule for dwelling units only.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
If one guy dries his hair and uses a cord what's the next club memeber going to use? The same cord. Now this cord is replacing a permanent wiring need.
No, the next member will wait until one of the other sinks is available, and move over to use his hair dryer. ;):cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do believe the code states their is a receptacle required for each bowl in a bath room but that is residential not sure on the commercial
Charlie replied to the 3' rule and I will say there is no code req. for a receptacle in a commercial bathroom. Perhaps in patient care baths, but not sure about that

roger3829

I do admit that you can look at this situation in many different ways but I think that if you are caught the fire inspector will write it up ( just to cover himself ) and tell you to remove the cord and then you can do whatever you want after he leaves. The liability will be on the owner.

This is a health club with shower, people will be drying hair and it's a very poor design not to have a receptacle there.

The liability is on the owner. The convenience factor for the users is on the owner. Putting 1 receptacle might be nice. Putting 2 would be better. Putting 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 would be SUPER!!!! But putting ANY receptacles in there is above and beyond what is required by the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.