Which bookkeeping program do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finite10

I read that Quickbooks has problems with Windows 7 64bit. That's my OS!

And Quickbooks 2011 has embedded advertising, forced upgrade due to intentionally obsolete program, they took away the ability to add your own attachments and charge a fee to add attachments -host/storage fee, etc

Which bookkeeping program do you use? I'd like a freeware one, of course:cool:

Do I need double entry bookkeeping if I'm a 1-man shop using Cash Accounting -to start? I may hire 2 employees later and need to do payroll, so may need to merge.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It depends how much effort you want to put into the books. I ran a business for 30 years and last year I got quickbooks. I use to use quicken-- it worked fine for a small business. I set up spreadsheets in lotus-- now in excel that did my billing, receivables and payroll. It took a lot of effort to set it up but I enjoyed doing it. I still use excel for my payroll even though I can get payroll with quickbooks for a few hundred dollars a year.

Finite10

It depends how much effort you want to put into the books. I ran a business for 30 years and last year I got quickbooks. I use to use quicken-- it worked fine for a small business. I set up spreadsheets in lotus-- now in excel that did my billing, receivables and payroll. It took a lot of effort to set it up but I enjoyed doing it. I still use excel for my payroll even though I can get payroll with quickbooks for a few hundred dollars a year.

That's quite a story, 30 years! Hope I can pass something on 30 yrs from now (I'd sure hope so).

Excel is cool, amazes me often as I get into it. Right now I'm trying to reset my decimals in an extensive energy bill. I assumed I could just add it 2 places to the left after all the entries were made. I didn't set it up to do that before I made all the entries.

You must have that function button mastered! YouTube has lots of tutorials that are helping me get used to Excel.

Excluding Excel, for now anyway, Peachtree looks like the only real option.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Quickbooks Enterprise. Don't go there. To much money. DO NOT USE THE CLEANUP utility on any of the QB versions.

I to used spreadsheets for payroll, estimating and billing. Office help did in the pricing spreadsheet and I lost years of data. Could not bring myself to rebuild it.

I used what is now Sage (I think) software for several years, but at the time I had to pry software updates from their unwilling hands. I hope it is better now. I could get about any kind of report I wanted from it.

Sparky555

I used to use Quickbooks. I've been using my own spreadsheet for over a year and prefer it (Excel & Numbers). Year-end accounting was much easier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.