Dryer/range outlet orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

A lot of typing for a simple question.

I work with a guy that likes to lay his surface mount dryer and range outlets on the side. He says he does this because some cords won?t plug in because the cord sometimes would need to point down towards the floor and there is no room because the outlet is mounted on the baseboard with cable coming out of the floor.

I don?t like the looks of it mounted that way because he leaves the cable exposed as it comes out of the floor and turns into the outlet. Are there any particular brands of outlets or range/dryer power cords that are a problem when mounted on the baseboard with cable coming out of the floor instead of the wall?

The outlets I?ve seen have the ground prong on the side where the cable comes in (bottom if mounted on the floor) and the cords I?ve seen have the ground prong on the side opposite of the side the cord comes into the cap (bottom).

480sparky

I install range receps horizontally.... whether new or remodel. That way, the cord won't have to be smashed against the floor.

If a dryer recep is installed in a remod, I install it face up for the same reason.

ceb58

I,personally dont install them surface mounted. I install all flush mounted with a DG box. I have seen to many that had the cord pinched or they shoved the appliance in place hard enough the break the cover.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I work with a guy that likes to lay his surface mount dryer and range outlets on the side. He says he does this because some cords won?t plug in because the cord sometimes would need to point down towards the floor and there is no room because the outlet is mounted on the baseboard with cable coming out of the floor.

I don?t like the looks of it mounted that way because he leaves the cable exposed as it comes out of the floor and turns into the outlet. Are there any particular brands of outlets or range/dryer power cords that are a problem when mounted on the baseboard with cable coming out of the floor instead of the wall?

The outlets I?ve seen have the ground prong on the side where the cable comes in (bottom if mounted on the floor) and the cords I?ve seen have the ground prong on the side opposite of the side the cord comes into the cap (bottom).

I don't see a lot of design difference in different brands of receps. that I have seen. I do know that turning them horizontally lets them fit the area behind the range drawer and allows you to place the range closer to the wall. That's how I had to do my own after a remodel or the range would have stuck out from the wall too much because of the cord being mashed against the range.

Cavie

Leviton has rear KO's in the surface mount recpt.

fireryan

I always use the ko in the back of the device so no wire shows and then just mount it to the floor. Would it be a nec violation to have the cable coming thru the floor show if you were using the other ko since the nm wouldnt be protected

macmikeman

Just a small observation: 3 conductor outlets made the pigtail orientation fit the space better. 4 wire outlets especially surface ones and the way the pigtail has to fit into them means that the cord will need to bend back around on itself. The NEMA fellows ought to consider this and reverse the locations of the ground contact with the neutral contact on both the receptacle design and the pigtail configurations. A small thing sure- but it makes macmmike grumble every time, so hear me well NEMA boys, macmikeman is watching you close .....:cool:

Sparky555

In service (not new construction) I surface mount on the floor using the bottom KO through the floor. I orient the outlet so the power cord is relaxed and not folding back on itself.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ok, for those that flush mount. How high and ground up or ground down?
If possible, I prefer to see the cord first, but I'll flip a receptacle to suit the plug.

I did that yesterday behind a refrigerator with an angle plug. I couldn't believe nobody had bothered for years.

bullheimer

the fiber nail-on range outlet boxes you (can) buy now for new construction, are to be nailed to the bottom plate and the recept will only go in sideways. works for me.

the plugs seem to always have the ground at the top. so if vertically mounted put the ground on the top. funny that the writing etched into the recep will then be upside down. what else is new? SAME GOES for those stupid KING thermostats!!!! idiots.

dryers i just slap on the wall. they can be anywhere below the top of the dryer because the dryer vent will force you to hold the dryer out from the wall anyway, so hgt isn't much of an issue as with a range or frige. if you look at the back of a frige or range you will notice that the bottom 10" is about the only place to put a plug where it wont hit the back of the appliance. oH! did i mention appliances? well then i might as well let you know that anything made by Whirlpool is absolute GARBAGE!

ALSO put the ground on the top for a dryer cord. most friges now have flat plugs, so not as much of an issue as it used to be.

Last edited:

verduin

Range receptacle orientation

Range receptacle orientation

I mount the box sideways on the plate, in the middle of the range space. This gives room for the cover, and makes it possible to plug in the range horizontally, making room for the cord to slide under the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.