Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I you have a draw out breaker 225a and 1600a frame. What is the feeder sized to? The trip or frame size? Just curious? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn't the frame size just the physical dimension of the breaker? I think you just size to the 225 amps. I don't work with this stuff but that's what I think.

cripple

Breaker

Section 210.3 states that the ?Branch circuits recognized by this article shall be rated in accordance with the maximum permitted ampere rating or setting of the overcurrent device.? Which would lead you believe that if the break frame is 1600 amp that would determent the circuit rating. Section 240.6(C) does permits that circuit breaker(s) with restricted access to the adjusting means to have an ampere rating(s) that is equal to the adjusted current setting circuit breakers having external means for adjusting the current setting. In your case if the breaker is a restricted access adjustable-trip setting the rating of the circuit would be 225, and the conductor should be size to the 225 rating.

zog

Isn't the frame size just the physical dimension of the breaker? I think you just size to the 225 amps. I don't work with this stuff but that's what I think.

Sometimes, but frame size should be though of as a rating. Some different frame sizes use the exact same breaker size physically but interlocks are used to prevent using the wrong size in the wrong hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.