Heater needs GFCI protection in bathroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

I could not find the answer to this question in the code book so I thought that I would ask here.
Does a 120-volt wall mounted space heater in a residential bathroom need to be GFCI protected?

Thank you,

Check the manufacturers installation instructions. See 110.3(B). Sometimes GFCI protection is required by the listing, even though not specifically called out in the code for that appliance, such as is with moisture exhaust fans mounted above tubs and showers.

renosteinke

I have such a heater in my home. You operate it by manually flipping a switch on the face of the unit. It is supplied by its' own 15-a branch circuit.

Code requirements are, well, minimums. While not required, I found it worthwhile to make two changes.
First, I supplied it using a GFCI breaker. At $30+ each, I don't use breakers very often.
Second, I also installed a timer in the circuit, so I don't accidentally leave the heater "on." I used the tried-and-true 'twist the knob and listen to it tick' type of timer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I used the tried-and-true 'twist the knob and listen to it tick' type of timer.
I put the exact same timer (60 min. max) in every bathroom for the exhaust fans.

I had to return one: it stopped ticking just before it opened.

It would have been great in a suspense movie.

hurk27

it stopped ticking just before it opened.

It would have been great in a suspense movie.

Connected to a bath fan:grin: or a
sterb271.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.