GFCI receptacle at load center

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick 50

I have been doing this for years but now the question popped and I really dont know if I truly needed to be doing this. When you are installing the service into a new construction home, I was always under the impression that you had to install a GFCI receptacle next to the load center. Not only me but seen and heard of inspectors that won't approve the install until that GFI receptacle is there. Now when really searching the code for this, I dont see it. I did notice 590.6(A) says if you are using this as temporary power, it must be GFI protected. Any input appreciated.

renosteinke

Where's the load center located?

"Out West" they're commonly mounted on the outside of the home, and adding a receptacle near the load center helps meet the 'two outdoor receptacles' requirement of the NEC.

cadpoint

Sounds like an urban myth.

Search engine results here for Pittsburgh's electrical rules.

Exact electrical rules here for ICC EC here. Now note I listed a 2006 page. The next listing of the first link is 2008. I know my city has some OLD stuff up on there web site as well...

Now your free to chase any of the sub-article's as listed, I'm not.

But if your Panel is in a basement your thought of the application would be a nice convient place for a GFCI! :) exact placement of it there, no it's never defined as such in NFPA, but it is required in a basement yes, GFCI!

slick 50

Where's the load center located?

"Out West" they're commonly mounted on the outside of the home, and adding a receptacle near the load center helps meet the 'two outdoor receptacles' requirement of the NEC.

Usually in basements and garages. I think the inspectors just want an outlet for when the POCO energizes the service so people/contractors have something to use if you dont already have some temp power ran, GFI protected of course:confused:

Thanks

cadpoint

For Outdoor GFCI in use at a residence, I think One might need to read
210.52(E) 1- 3 to get a better understanding of whats required then what's been previous stated here.

:)

Last edited:
Here in my jurisdiction if a project is in progress and no temp power pole available we have the option to issue a "Temporary Power to Permanent Location" utility release for the new service panel provided a GFCI receptacle is readily available for construction and all other issues (grounding, conductor sizing, OCPDs, working clearances, etc) are addressed.

hurk27

I have never been required to have one by the panel, but to have the service energized while work is still in progress we have to have a GFCI protected receptacle available which since we supply a dedicated 20 amp to our baths, we just install a used breaker for a temp to the bathrooms and put an old receipt in each bath, some times we might use the refrigerator or laundry receipt also to provide more then one circuit, we cut the ears off the receipt so dry wallers can rock over the receipt. we try to have at least one outlet on each floor if there is more then one floor, save workers from running extension cords up stairs, here about 15 years ago our utility started requiring an out landish deposit for temp poles so now we set the service for the house for a temp to use, keeps allot of general contractors happy not having to pay for a temp pole.
Why have an energized service with no receipt for the workers to plug into?

Last edited:

slick 50

I have never been required to have one by the panel, but to have the service energized while work is still in progress we have to have a GFCI protected receptacle available which since we supply a dedicated 20 amp to our baths, we just install a used breaker for a temp to the bathrooms and put an old receipt in each bath, some times we might use the refrigerator or laundry receipt also to provide more then one circuit, we cut the ears off the receipt so dry wallers can rock over the receipt. we try to have at least one outlet on each floor if there is more then one floor, save workers from running extension cords up stairs, here about 15 years ago our utility started requiring an out landish deposit for temp poles so now we set the service for the house for a temp to use, keeps allot of general contractors happy not having to pay for a temp pole.
Why have an energized service with no receipt for the workers to plug into?

Exactly what I been thinking all these years;but I guess it is not really in NEC. I think you need to have one available per some AHJ's but not right next to panel. Reason for installing right next to panel is time and money.

Last edited:

hurk27

Exactly what I been thinking all these years;but I guess it is not really in NEC. I think you need to have one available per some AHJ's but not right next to panel. Reason for installing right next to panel is time and money.

I kind of differ in this belief

see 590.6 remember the whole reason for energizing the service ahead of time is to supply power for the construction instead of using a temp pole, I believe an inspector could call 590.6 with no problems.

If a receptacle(s) is
installed or exists as part of the permanent wiring of the
building or structure and is used for temporary electric
power, ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel​
shall be provided.

hurk27

I guess I have to back up a little, as I don't find anything in 590 requiring a receptacle to be installed, I think the CMPs missed this one, but the above is if a receptacle is installed, just kind of dumb to install temporary power and not install a receptacle:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.