Additional service disconnect if panel is further than 5' from the meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKoehl

I have been looking for a code reference for a local rule here in Peoria IL.

The inspectors here require an Service Disconnect if the panel will be more than 5 feet away from the meter.

I can not find anything that specifically requires an additional disconnect means within 5 feet from the meter.

The only code that I can find with any reference to location of Disconnect means is 230.70(A)

(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed
in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting
means shall be installed at a readily accessible location
either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the
point of entrance of the service conductors.
(2) Bathrooms. Service disconnecting means shall not be
installed in bathrooms.
(3) Remote Control. Where a remote control device(s) is
used to actuate the service disconnecting means, the service
disconnecting means shall be located in accordance with
230.70(A)(1).

I would like to know if there is a specified distance in the code or if it is just the AHJ setting 5 foot as the "nearest the point of entrance of service conductors".

Thanks

hurk27

The NEC does not spell this out as it is left up to local authority to decide as what is acceptable, remember those service entrance conductors are not protected and if ever shorted they will most times burn free, here in Indiana we have no set length and I have seen runs as far as 20' inside, while that makes my hair stand on end, it was allowed by a local inspector, I'm not sure but I think IL. does not have a state wide code standard like Indiana, so it will be up to what has been adopted in your area.

I know I would not want unprotected conductors very far into my house.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is another of those very subjective code rules. My view is that "nearest" means exactly that. You come through the wall and into the panel.

That being said our local code has an amendment that says you are permitted to have 10' of service conductor between the point of entry and the line side terminals of the service disconnect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The code will allow unlimited distance if you do not enter the building. Once you enter the building it states as near as possible to the point of entry.

I have run pvc from a meter under a slab to the middle of a home. Some jurisdictions require a disconnect next to the meter. Check your local code amendments.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with Dennis on this. The "shortest distance possible" is determined by the AHU. I've also had a situation where the existing residential service drop was located on the side of the house but the breaker panel was at the rear of the house (go figure:confused:). I upgraded the service, left the meter location at the same spot but ran the load side underground (but not under the slab), in PVC to the new breaker panel at the rear of the house.

If you can find a way to encase the load side conduit in 6" of concrete you can probably increase the distance, but I would check with the AHU before doing so.

KnobnTube

I have been looking for a code reference for a local rule here in Peoria IL.

The inspectors here require an Service Disconnect if the panel will be more than 5 feet away from the meter.

I can not find anything that specifically requires an additional disconnect means within 5 feet from the meter.

The only code that I can find with any reference to location of Disconnect means is 230.70(A)

I would like to know if there is a specified distance in the code or if it is just the AHJ setting 5 foot as the "nearest the point of entrance of service conductors".

Thanks

You keep referencing "additional" disconnect.
Do you have an outside disconnect at the meter installed (combo unit)?

KnobnTube

Everyone agrees NEC says nearest point inside (no exact number) so it looks like your AHJ likes 5 feet.

btharmy

Not really "Additional". It would be a disconnect means next to the meter. We then would change the panel inside the house to a main lug only (sub panel).

Why change the panel to m.l.o.? It's not very convenient to have to go outside to turn off the panel. I can't imagine the cost savings is worth the inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.