How old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Neat old home - supposedly built by a Civil War general. Saw this disconnected (though prominently displayed) old electrical panel. Any idea how old? Am I correct that the thin wires connected to the terminals by knife switch were the actually overcurrent protection devices (some were broken). Glass door was locked so I could not get a better look-see. I wish the photo came out better.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/TonyPE/IMGP1676.jpg

hurk27

I have seen some very similar in an old theater that was built around the late 1800's to 1900's, the original service was low voltage and DC, if I remember right I was told it was 24 or 32 volts DC, all open buss and open fuses, it was converted to 110 volts in the 1930's and put in a covered box, and in the 1950's again removed from service but left in place. the very large old rheostat dimmers for the stage lights were amazing, I wish I had a camera at the time, as the building was converted to offices and a bank, built right into the theater with a sloping floor, but the stage and much of the electrical was left in place, just disconnected, even the stage lights are still in the back part of the building behind the offices, much of the old electrical was exposed open buss, and very dangerous when it was converted for 110 volt usage.

hurk27

The knife switch's are the disconnect, the short piece of wire most likely aluminum is the fuse between the two screws to the left and right of the knife switch's, they would keep a roll of this wire in the panel to replace one when it was blown open when a over current or short would happen.

cadpoint

It's a very nice piece to see in person, a supply house in downtown Raleigh has one on the wall, I don't remember so many individual circuits breakers though.

ESC is the supply house.

pfanta

pressurized gas pipe chandeliers

pressurized gas pipe chandeliers

around here every now and again you find 110v knob and tube coming down the gas light chandelier which is still inuse!

AFCIs - watch out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.