New Jersey EC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I am an EC in Jersey currently working primarily on residential with occasional light commercial jobs.
What does it take for my biz to be able to bid and work on union projects?

Thank you for your input.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I think I will reach out the local IBEW chapter.
There is all kinds of certifications & training for apprentices. Not sure what I need to have my company be able to execute work on sites that require union labor.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I have seen many businesses go belly up in the last 2 years.
I have an opportunity to do some commercial work requiring union labor. The circumstances of the projects are such that they will be profitable IF I can get my company involved with supplying union labor.

I guess that profitable descriptor may go away if it costs a bunch to be a union shop.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Usually when we start talking about unions and union labor here in the forum the thread usually gets shut down. So, I'll offer my 2 cents worth while it lasts. This is just my opinion based on conversations with contractors in my association that are union contractors. You're going to lose money, material and tools up front until you learn how to bid the jobs properly and learn to deal with union labor and gain their respect. One contractor told me he buys a half dozen SDS hammer drills from Harbor Freight a month. It's a better choice to lose $65.00 on a cheap Chineese made drill than to lose $900.00 on a Hilti. We have some union contractors making a lot of $$, some that have both union and non-union shops and some that have lost too much money and will no longer hire union electricians.

A good place to start is to call the Local IBEW as you suggested and get an idea of their labor rates along with the work rules and regulations that they follow. If you know any union contractors maybe they can give you some insight into prevailing wage rules, etc.

Sorry, I wish I had more I could offer.

JES2727

It's mostly about getting the proper bonding. In addition to the usual bonding requirements for the bigger jobs you'll need a bond to cover the payroll. If you can't get the bonding you'll need to show the cash.
Then you need to fill out about 5000 pages of forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.