Aluminum Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2000 amp service we are installing at a Hotel and I thought I would get pricing on going with aluminum vs. copper wire for the ground going to the water line. I thought about this because we are using aluminum wire for our feeder wires throughout the whole building and said to my boss why not pull in aluminum for the ground in lieu of copper. We looked into it and its $600.00 cheaper than copper. Is anyone else doing this?

pete m.

I have seen it done... but for the most part around here folks are still using copper for the GEC's.

Pete

That is what I was thinking, why would there be a chart in the NEC for using Aluminum if it wasn't an acceptable method?

Nitty

Aluminum Ground

Just remember the proper fittings or compound when attaching aluminum and copper. The enviroment that the conection is made is also very important. In moist places or places where water lines might sweat I have seen some highly corroded connections.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just remember the proper fittings or compound when attaching aluminum and copper. The enviroment that the conection is made is also very important. In moist places or places where water lines might sweat I have seen some highly corroded connections.
If you mean noalox on the aluminum it is not required even by the manufacturer. That being said everyone seems to still use it.

gndrod

inhibitors

inhibitors

If you mean noalox on the aluminum it is not required even by the manufacturer. That being said everyone seems to still use it.

I might be slightly out of touch on this one, but the Penn-Union handbook has Penetrox or noalox prescribed on Al to some of their pressure connector products.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Out of curiosity how long is this GEC? I check my pricing of 3/0CU vs. 250AL and it would need to be a little over 200' for the $600 difference.

Nitty

Being that the GEC connection points are extremely important to safely transfer fault currents, are rarely inspected after installation and that Aluminum is highly susceptible to corrosion I would recommend approved anti-oxidizing coumpound though it may not be required.

eprice

Being that the GEC connection points are extremely important to safely transfer fault currents, are rarely inspected after installation and that Aluminum is highly susceptible to corrosion I would recommend approved anti-oxidizing coumpound though it may not be required.

Look at 250.4(A)(1). Conducting fault current is not a primary function of the GEC. That function is served by the equipment grounding conductors and the service neutral (grounded conductor).

Status
Not open for further replies.