Square D, CB Type Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm doing some work in a building with a Square D CB type panel, probably from 40's or 50's. I have a call out to s vintage supplier in NC, haven't heard back. Anyone here know of a source?

I'm amazed that these breakers are still in pretty good shape, trip as needed. Problem is that the original EC put nearly everything on 15A breakers & some receptacles are tripping with the loads, about 13 amps, just over limit for 15A.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I'm doing some work in a building with a Square D CB type panel, probably from 40's or 50's. I have a call out to s vintage supplier in NC, haven't heard back. Anyone here know of a source?
This is not enough information to go on. During this time frame Square D probably had +10 different breakers.

Do you have a part number from an existing device? Do have a breaker panel type or serial nuber?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Problem is ... some receptacles are tripping with ... about 13 amps, just over limit for 15A.
Actually, a good 15a breaker should carry 15a indefinitely, rated for it or not. Try a clamp-on ammeter and see whether the 13a is accurate. If it is, the breakers are weak.

jmellc

Occupation
Actually, a good 15a breaker should carry 15a indefinitely, rated for it or not. Try a clamp-on ammeter and see whether the 13a is accurate. If it is, the breakers are weak.

I got 13A with the load used at the moment & customer said other things are used off & on. I didn't have all the appliances there to check.

jmellc

Occupation
This is not enough information to go on. During this time frame Square D probably had +10 different breakers.

Do you have a part number from an existing device? Do have a breaker panel type or serial nuber?

Only info I could find was panel model number, CB something. I need a cell phone that will take photos. Will do that with next phone. Breakers slided in from side, between thin insulators, bolt to the bus, bolt to the frame with small removable clips. Flat covers go over center of panel, that cover the bus, covers 4 breakers to left & 4 to right, total of 8. Bottom fed panel. Breakers are not labeled except with small Square D sticker, near terminal. Any print there is too small to even see.

Status
Not open for further replies.