quickbooks question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

For those of you using quickbooks. Can quickbooks store material prices so when your doing an invoice you can just click on the item and the material price will show up on the invoice? Hope this makes sense

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you open an invoice and start typing the item, then a list of similar choices come up. Choose the one and the price will automatically show up. I don't believe you can click on the items from the item list and get them into an invoice

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I stand corrected. Open and invoice and put your cursor in the proper column. Go to the item list and highlight the item. Then on bottom click item and then USE.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle, used QB for 20 yrs? And didn't know that trick. Can hardly wait to show the bookkeeper.

I only have used qb for a year but I just found that. Normally I just type the item but occasionally I can't remember how it is listed so this may be helpful

kwired

Electron manager
I only have used qb for a year but I just found that. Normally I just type the item but occasionally I can't remember how it is listed so this may be helpful
Just click the dropdown list arrow in the item box on the invoice line and you have access to the entire item list without having to open the item list. Start typing something and your choices get narrowed down to what matches what you typed.

I often forget what I named something but know what the parent category is and just type that and all the sub items will be in the drop down list.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Just click the dropdown list arrow in the item box on the invoice line and you have access to the entire item list without having to open the item list. Start typing something and your choices get narrowed down to what matches what you typed.

I often forget what I named something but know what the parent category is and just type that and all the sub items will be in the drop down list.

Yes, I was sort of saying that earlier- as you type your selection come up. I wasn't sure why the op wanted to go from the list-- less scrolling perhaps.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, I was sort of saying that earlier- as you type your selection come up. I wasn't sure why the op wanted to go from the list-- less scrolling perhaps.

I don't know what newer versions are like, I'm using 2007 version, but I wish you could navigate the actual item list faster like you can on a bill or invoice by simply starting to type and it will narrow down possible results based on what you entered.

I can find an item faster on an invoice or bill faster than I can in the item list.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I don't know what newer versions are like, I'm using 2007 version, but I wish you could navigate the actual item list faster like you can on a bill or invoice by simply starting to type and it will narrow down possible results based on what you entered.

I can find an item faster on an invoice or bill faster than I can in the item list.

You have to be pretty quick to get in more than the first three or four letters of an item code for it to search by them on the item list.. L will get you to the Ls. L11 to those and L11ah to those but don't pause to think. We have just short of 5800 item codes and it takes time esp if more than one of us are working.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I only have a few hundred item-- 300-400--- so it is not that bad. If I start typing 12/2nm the list starts when I type 1 then gets narrowed when I type each letter or number after it. I am using 2010 version. Usually I would type the number 12 then choose between 8 or ten items.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I have 1,062 items in the items list.

If you want to know how many items you have, open Quickbooks and press the F2 key.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Each item was entered individually over a span of many years. Here's a random screen capture. Pricing really needs to be updated on most of these entries.

Capture.jpg

dduffee260

We have been using QB for 13 or 14 years now. We have QB Enterprise because of the users and file size. Although I still use another program for estimates we do use QB for smaller estimates. I think we have about 6,000 items on the item list. Our list kind of looks like the Trade Service list. The only drawback is you have to constantly keep up with price changes. If I remember right you hit Control-L and it pulls up the item detail.

kwired

Electron manager
If I remember right you hit Control-L and it pulls up the item detail.

I just tried that and you are right. I definately will remember that one. Will not be used as much on customer invoices but will definately be used on vendor bills as that is the time when details need changed the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.