Circuit Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a GB Instruments Circuit Tracker GET-1200 that I have had for a few years. I've only used it a couple of times, and then in a single phase panel. Today I needed to trace some receps/circuits so I got the Circuit Tracker out to try and find them. The panel that the circuits are in is a 3pf 208/120V. This tracker has a visible scale (green-red) and an audible alarm when you find the right breaker. The problem I was having was I got full scale readings on several breakers, which was useless to me. You could hear what sounded like a 60HZ hum or buzz on most every breaker. The audible alarm is a chirping sound, which I could hear in more than one place. I would hold it in one place for several seconds thinking that was the strongest signal only to find if you checked again, it had moved. I just gave up on trying with this thing. I couldn't flip the breakers because the receps. were being used. The only thing I can think of is there were apparently some MWBC in there and several non linear loads on some circuits, thus giving me a lot of trash and false readings. Any thoughts on this?

Barndog

one thing that we do where i work is when we get a strong signal hold the wire in your fingers and read between your finger and the breaker if it still beeps chances are thats your breaker. This works with our tracer.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a GB Instruments Circuit Tracker GET-1200 that I have had for a few years. I've only used it a couple of times, and then in a single phase panel. Today I needed to trace some receps/circuits so I got the Circuit Tracker out to try and find them. The panel that the circuits are in is a 3pf 208/120V. This tracker has a visible scale (green-red) and an audible alarm when you find the right breaker. The problem I was having was I got full scale readings on several breakers, which was useless to me. You could hear what sounded like a 60HZ hum or buzz on most every breaker. The audible alarm is a chirping sound, which I could hear in more than one place. I would hold it in one place for several seconds thinking that was the strongest signal only to find if you checked again, it had moved. I just gave up on trying with this thing. I couldn't flip the breakers because the receps. were being used. The only thing I can think of is there were apparently some MWBC in there and several non linear loads on some circuits, thus giving me a lot of trash and false readings. Any thoughts on this?

What kind of tracer do some of you use that might not give so many false readings?

Status
Not open for further replies.