Safely stripping so cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

akslope

Hello,
I work for a major oil company and they have inacted a "no open blade" cutting policy. I am not sure if this is the correct arena to ask this question but, since the policy has been put in effect I can no longer strip "so" cable with a Stanley razor knife. I know that there are other strippers available for smaller dia. so ie: #12-#6 such as the Greenlee strippers. I need to find a simular stripper that will strip #2 and larger.
Any help will be appriciated.

Ken

iwire

Staff member
Moderators note: Members, I am asking that we not get into the merits of this company policy and just try to find a solution to the OPs question.

In trade school I was taught to strip rubber cord with my linemen pliers. It does not leave the same neat appearance but that part will be in the connector or enclosure.

Fold the cable over hard, using the cutters cut open the outside edge of the fold and then use the pliers to grip the jacket and rip it off the conductors.

480sparky

What size cable? "Extension cord" size, like 18-12, or bigger stuff?

Would something like this work?

12679.JPG

Last edited:

renosteinke

Linesmans' pliers? I'll have to try that.

With all due respect: Is not an unreasonable policy, one that conceiveably introduces additional risks, a legitimate topic for a 'safety' forum? Would not a person come here if they needed to find support they might use to get an unreasonable policy corrected?

iwire

Staff member
Is not an unreasonable policy, one that conceiveably introduces additional risks, a legitimate topic for a 'safety' forum?

Sure and if you (or the OP) would like to start a thread about that feel free, but I am not going to have this thread sidetracked with that topic.

As far as this thread lets stick with answering the OPs question about how to work within the policy.

muskrat

Don't remember the manufact. but used to have a stripper (got it from POCO) for #2 and one for 4/0 that was shaped like a donut w/ an adjustable blade on the inside that you put on the wire and turned a few times around and zing, there you go. Used on USE but might work on SO.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually ring the cable, but not enough to break through and expose the conductors, but, when I can't use a blade, I fold the cable and nip through it with the tip of my diagonals, and work my way around it. Then, with either method, I slit the cable lengthwise if it's too long to slide off.

realolman

you can cut straight into the cut end of it with a pair of sidecutters, making two halves of the rubber jacket, and then peel the two halves back as far as you want... just let the conductors kinda go where they want...

you will probably ruin the first half inch or so of one of the wires, and you have to try to keep the two halves of jacket the same thickness as you pull them apart, but you can strip it back as far as you want like this.... this works well for rubber covered cord, but I dont think it would work too well for anything else

tkb

What size cable? "Extension cord" size, like 18-12, or bigger stuff?

Would something like this work?

12679.JPG

Ideal used to make one that was similar.
I checked on their web site but couldn't find it.
I have 2 of them.

They work very good for SO and SJ cord.
You ring the cable and then pull to the end.
When you pull, the blade swivels.

Another way is to use your dikes to nip the jacket and then it pull off.

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Ring the SO cord with your "eagle beaks" (small Klein cable cutters) enought to have a good ring, but not break though the insulation to the conductors. About a 4" bite is about as big as I would go.

May want to check seeings you have a no "open blade policy" next time you purchase SO cord, if you can get it with a "zip cord" in it that someone on here may post....

jamesk

safely stripping so cable

safely stripping so cable

Take a look at the Ripley tool catalog. www.ripley-tools.com
They have quite a variety of stripping cable tools and ergonomic type tools as well.
Hope this helps. jamesk

Status
Not open for further replies.