Electricians of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Remember when there wasn't non-contact voltage testers. Now they have indicator fuses . Just wondering what electricians in the future will use to help in troubleshooting ? Will glasses be designed that see's the voltage ? Just wondered what some people see for the future ......................

dbuckley

Yes, there was a time when people repaired busted fans, now a failed fan just get biffed into the landfill, and a replacement purchased...

When I was a kid of about seven or eight my walk home from school took me past an appliance repairman, who'se place of business was an old "nissan hut" air raid shelter. I'd drop in most days, and this bloke was kind enough not to throw a curious kid out on his ear, but to explain what he did. He used to repair household appliances, back when a purchase of an appliance was a long term committment.

He'll be long dead now, of course, but I remain grateful to him, he took the time to explain how stuff works to a kid.

mivey

Tesla was on that last century...
A lot of the stuff that modern electricians deal with were discovered/invented long, long ago. Tesla was certainly way ahead of his time. Makes you wonder what wonders he could come up with today.

PetrosA

A lot of the stuff that modern electricians deal with were discovered/invented long, long ago. Tesla was certainly way ahead of his time. Makes you wonder what wonders he could come up with today.

If what I've read about him is true and he really did come up with some of the things he's rumored to have gotten to work but there's no documentation of, I think our whole experience of electricity would probably be dramatically different. Maybe the reason he's gaining in popularity lately is that some of his ideas were so wondrous then that it's only now we realize what we may have lost.

I have studied Nikola Tesla extensively. Their is no comparison to his electrical knowledge and its capabilities. Some of the devices he created and the theory he predicted is unfolding before us today. His business skills on the other hand were not his strong point to say the least. Check out the vid at 2:36. Is that a Fluke or Sperry? :confused::confused::confused:

ronaldrc

They probably used buss duct for hat racks

Heres the way I see things going.

Some think the electrician jobs are going to be safe and secure for the next few generations
but maybe not.Advances in electronics and nano technologies are moving very fast.

From what I have been reading about technological advances.I see a time in the near future
where being electrocuted to death will be a thing of the past.

I think in the next 20 years not because of building more safety in, but from super conductors
and improve efficiency they will be able to lower the operating voltage to a low enough level
to eliminate electrocution.

And most residential power supplies will be on site and our power utility
companies will be a thing of the past.

I would love to see that day because as much as I hate to say it all of the utilities water and
power have always charge what ever they want to just because they can. The only reason our power and water
bills aren't like our medical bills in other words instead of a $300.00 dollar light bill it would be a
$900.00 dollar light bill,-- except they do have the federal and or state caps applied to them.
"Remember Enron in Cal." The lobbyist lobbied to have their caps removed and the light bills doubled and
triplied and the clerks laughed about the senior citizens on fixed income with their $900.00 dollar light
bills because they could not possibly pay? "Well it wasn't their fault."

And look at your Med bills and insurance, its just a different
group laughing now--WHOOPS sorry I sorta got off the subject.

Efficiency

We have already moved from the old CRT vacuum tube TV to the low voltage plasma and LCD screens.
Although they are a heavier electrical loads the dangerous high voltage is gone.

Our electronic circuits for the most parts use millamps as opposed to amps. 20 years ago.

Seems like our light bulbs and lamps are becoming more efficient every year or so.

I believe HVAC and power will both go solar in the next 20 years.

Equipment

They process information now with practically no power loss in power dissipation as to a 70 percent power loss
even with the junction transistor 20 years ago.That alone reduces your HVAC loads.
"Huh" some might say well you'll need more heat in the winter,but I say that energy can be applied better
through the HVAC system more efficiently.

Electrical work might become like the electronics field has become,--just snap together parts.

We might have prewired devices you nail to the wall stud and plug resized and cut cable assemblies into it.
The only place a certified electrician will be needed is to build the service.

Have programmed drilling robots no helpers,-just one maybe to string the cable and one electrician to
over see the job.

Just a few things I can see and I'm sure of these and this is just the tip of the ice burg.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I always thought that one day there would just be a "magnetic" strip of some sort built into the wall and you would just attach your appliance cord, with two little buttons on it, anywhere along that strip and have power.

Solar powered flashlights was another one I came up with, but they still have one draw back.:roll:

Buck Parrish

I always thought that one day there would just be a "magnetic" strip of some sort built into the wall and you would just attach your appliance cord, with two little buttons on it, anywhere along that strip and have power.
.:roll:

They have something like that now for phone chargers. You can set several on it at one time and they'll charge up.

Nice Video BTW

Status
Not open for further replies.