class 1, div 2 devices in class 2 div 1 location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I saw dad pulling out the code book looking at the hazardous section and i started
asking questions. Now i am studying the hazardous code.

Dad showed me the ul rating certificate number for a design he is doing. i then went to the website and started reading.

My question is this, is a class 1 div 2 device such as a pushbutton ok to use in a class 2, div 1 area? i read in 500.7D that a purged/pressurized system would make
devices acceptable for the envorinment for devices that are not listed for the environment so i am going to say yes.

But would they be acceptable if you didn't have a purge/pressurized system?
Class 1 is a gas, but this is a class 2 dust. Doesn't the class 1 requirements make it satisfactory for class 2 since its more strict?

thanks in advance,
jimmy

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Possibly, but not necessarily. The basic rule is Section 500.8(B)(1): “Equipment shall be identified not only for the class of location but also for the explosive, combustible, or ignitable properties of the specific gas, vapor, dust, or fibers/flyings that will be present...” The rest of the Section outlines temperature restrictions of each of the various Classes (I, II, or III) The temperatures are a separate issue and, if you compare, Section 500.8(D)(2) requirements with 500.8(C) you will find the maximum permitted Class II temperature is below most of those permitted in Table 500.8(C).

Status
Not open for further replies.