Residential service load calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In calculating service size for residential how do you decide to go by the standard calculations or the optional calculations? I used the Mike Holt worksheet for this but seems like a big difference between the two different figures.

Last edited:

jbelectric777

The choice is up to you, I always used the standard by 3VA per sq ft, then add the small appliance loads and do the demands. IMO its for jobs that teeter between two different sizes giving the contractor the chance to save a few bucks but still within NEC guidelines. Keep in mind NEC is the bare minimum and most guys slap a 200 on anyway. I will tell you this as an inspector myself, you must make sure he knows if your doing the optional calculation for the plan reveiw, just note it on your plans near the panel directory. I advise you not use the optional for a single or two family dwelling, thats used more for heavy loads in multi family or commercial projects where bids are so close the diffrence of a lousy $100.00 can make or break a decision on who gets the job. Best of Luck to ya.

Residential service calculation

Residential service calculation

This house will have geothermal heat on first floor and electric boiler heat in basement floor so heat load is quite a big chunk of the total demand. I just want to be sure a 400 AMP service will be enough. The standard calc comes up with 362 amp load where the optional load says to figure for 215 anp load. Quite a difference.
I planned to install 2- 200 amp panels.

marti smith

Are you using a water furnace and heat exchanger with the boiler in addition to it, or are is it one inclusive system?

Status
Not open for further replies.