Main panel ground/bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

200 amp panel, all conductors in romex. All neutrals tied into the neutral bus and all the grounds tied into the panel grounding bus. Jumper was removed from the neutral and ground bus. Bonding screw is in the neutral bus. Panel bonded with jumper to bushing on conduit from meter. Grounding bus also tied to water pipe.
Ground and neutral conductors are isolated from each other. Is this set up kosher?

VIC1958

So in order to isolate the two, BOTH the jumper from the neutral and ground bus and the bonding screw on the neutral would have to be removed?

hurk27

In that case, jumper and bonding screw should both be in place.

The former bond the grounding to the neutral, and the latter bond the enclosure (and whatever is connected to it.)

I have never had to install a jumper from the neutral bar to the grounding bar? as long as the main bonding screw is properly installed the neutral is bonded to the can that the grounding bar is also mounted to, and as long as the GEC's (if landed in this panel) are landed on the neutral bar all is kosher?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have never had to install a jumper from the neutral bar to the grounding bar? as long as the main bonding screw is properly installed the neutral is bonded to the can that the grounding bar is also mounted to, and as long as the GEC's (if landed in this panel) are landed on the neutral bar all is kosher?
As we know, when we're talking about the panel that contains the main disco, all EGC's and grounded conductors may land on the neutral bus, which must have the enclosure bonded to it.

In all other cases, only the groundeds may land on the neutral bus, and the EGC's must land on a bus that is either mounted onto, or otherwise bonded to the enclosure.

I believe the OP has a panel which comes with two isolated buses which may be joined or separated via a removable bar, and one of which may also be bonded to the enclosure.

hurk27

As we know, when we're talking about the panel that contains the main disco, all EGC's and grounded conductors may land on the neutral bus, which must have the enclosure bonded to it.

In all other cases, only the groundeds may land on the neutral bus, and the EGC's must land on a bus that is either mounted onto, or otherwise bonded to the enclosure.

I believe the OP has a panel which comes with two isolated buses which may be joined or separated via a removable bar, and one of which may also be bonded to the enclosure.

A'hhh
Missed that point, and you are correct, since now this bar is isolated from the panel, so either the jumper bar has to be installed back, or a wire jumper must be installed between the two if that don't violate 110.3? which as we discussed before Square D panels are not designed to remove this bar so if it is a Square D QO or HL it is still a violation of 110.3

Nice catch;)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Danke.

I've seen apartments wired using smaller SqD ML panels, where they removed the bar across the top, cut out a 1/2" chunk, and put back it. Then, the bonding screw defined which side was the EGC bus, and the now-isolated side's bus became the neutral bus.

I guess this kept them from having to buy accessory grounding buses.

VIC1958

Thats exactly what is going on here. Two buses that are connected via a removable jumper. The one bus bar also has a bonding screw. The electrician put all the grounding conductors on the bus without the bonding screw and all the neutrals on the bus that has the bonding screw. The jumper has been removed. The bus with all the grounding conductors is connected to water line coming int othe house. Kosher? or should that jumper be put back on to bond the two buses?

Thanks for all the help, great forum!

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The electrician put all the grounding conductors on the bus without the bonding screw and all the neutrals on the bus that has the bonding screw.
That's "backwards," besides the other issues. The branch-circuit EGC's are floating.

The bus with all the grounding conductors is connected to water line coming int othe house.
That's correct in itself.

Kosher? or should that jumper be put back on to bond the two buses?
Replaced. That jumper effectively makes both buses one.

S'mise

I didn't hear mention of a gec on buss (from ground rods or uffer) Or, is it landed in the meter can? Just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.