20A ct 15A device #14 jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
What is the NEC code section that says you can't put a
#14 jumper to a 15A device on a 20A ct.
If the 15A device is allowed by exception on the 20A ct then so is the 15A pigtail. Not mixing wire sizes here downstream, just to the 15A device.

Some 1990's installs I see all home runs in #12, cbs at 15A and then the lighting loops mixed down to #14, solid and better for voltage drop but no wire sizes/color changes allowed. The next guy might get confused. Forget about ring circuits at 120v, pressurized gas pipe hangers or the color scheme in Bahrain!
:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the 15A device is allowed by exception on the 20A ct then so is the 15A pigtail. Not mixing wire sizes here downstream, just to the 15A device.
Nope. The typical 15a receptacle has the same conductive parts as its 20a counterpart.

The rating is based on slot shape, or more specifically, the blade configurations it rejects.

Plus, the pigtail is part of the branch-circuit wiring, not part of the device.

raider1

Staff member
Nope. The typical 15a receptacle has the same conductive parts as its 20a counterpart.

The rating is based on slot shape, or more specifically, the blade configurations it rejects.

Plus, the pigtail is part of the branch-circuit wiring, not part of the device.

I agree with Larry,

240.4 requires conductors to be protected at their ampacities and 240.6 requires #14 to be protected at no more than 15 amps.

Chris

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with Larry,

240.4 requires conductors to be protected at their ampacities and 240.6 requires #14 to be protected at no more than 15 amps.

I disagree with Larry and Chris, to a degree. #14 Branch circuit tap conductors are permitted to be tapped from larger branch circuits, but only to the specific devices listed in 210.19(A)(4) Ex. No. 1. (Taps to supply receptacle outlets are NOT permitted.)

A #14 tap conductor is permitted from a 30A branch circuit by 210.19(A)(4) Ex. No. 1. See also, T210.24.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
What about my post was less than 100% :confused:

The "nope" part. A #14 tap conductor (this is what I read as 'pigtail' in the OP) is allowed on a 20A branch circuit for the specific loads listed in 210.19(A)(4) Ex 1.

Maybe you read "device" specifically as "receptacle." I didn't read it that way, but maybe thats what the OP meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.