Sears Electrical Installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The minimum permit fees here are $60 + taxes in Henrico Co. and $63 + taxes in Richmond. Plus the application time; even more if you want it approved while you wait, of course.

iwire

Staff member
I just went to the Sears website and selected an over the range microwave.

Once I put it in my cart I was asked if I wanted it installed, I clicked yes. At that point they asked for my address explaining that some areas need permits and that they needed to know where I live in order to tell me the cost of installation.

Once I hit submit it came back with 'no installation' so I guess they are trying to be on top of the permit issue.

RICK NAPIER

Here permit fees vary per municipality even though the codes are the same. Usually a permit for this type of work would be around $50 with no limit on the number of inspections. And it has been a few years but I have fined Sears more than once for work without permits.

I am a building inspector for a Silicon Valley jurisdiction in the SF Bay Area and permits are required for such an installation. I can tell you that in the 12 years I have been working here that I have posted at least 2 dozen Stop Work Oders for jobs being done without permits by Sears or Home Depot subs. On the occassion that I do contact Sears or Home Depot for answers, all they tell me it is the duty of the sub to pull their own permits. In short "Homeowners Beware".

Last edited:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
A few years ago I worked for a company that did the wiring of Sears-installed dishwashers. I believe it was $75. Some towns required a switch to turn off the dishwasher. In those towns the customer would be told that it would be an additional $75 to install a switch. That check was made payable to Sears, so they could be assured it wasn't a scam.

I'm not positive that permits were pulled on the jobs but why else would we have to worry about which towns were requiring the switch?

Jim W in Tampa

A few years ago I worked for a company that did the wiring of Sears-installed dishwashers. I believe it was $75. Some towns required a switch to turn off the dishwasher. In those towns the customer would be told that it would be an additional $75 to install a switch. That check was made payable to Sears, so they could be assured it wasn't a scam.

I'm not positive that permits were pulled on the jobs but why else would we have to worry about which towns were requiring the switch?

Very simple, they still want it done to code in the event they get caught.
High permit fees only create problems.
Chances are they did not have permits but chances of getting caught are very low. Homeowners don't want inspections because it means another day of lost wages waiting for them to inspect and scared to allow an inspector on the property because even if your job passes they might find other violations. Inspectors = cops and that is no trust.

Jim W in Tampa

I am a building inspector for a Silicon Valley jurisdiction in the SF Bay Area and permits are required for such an installation. I can tell you that in the 12 years I have been working here that I have posted at least 2 dozen Stop Work Oders for jobs being done without permits by Sears or Home Depot subs. On the occassion that I do contact Sears or Home Depot for answers, all they tell me it is the duty of the sub to pull their own permits. In short "Homeowners Beware".

So they got caught 2 times a year. How much was the fine ? Did you fine sears or the company that did the work ? How many do you think were done without permits ? 100 , 200,1000 ? Unless the owner had problems and called you it is unlikely you would found out. Will assume they are not stupid enough to put the box at the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.