Article 708 with 701 and/or Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryinghard

Are 708?s critical operation power systems integral only with 701 legally required standby systems or others as well?

It doesn?t seem compatible with 702 optional standby systems but what about 700 emergency systems?

ceb58

Are 708?s critical operation power systems integral only with 701 legally required standby systems or others as well?

It doesn?t seem compatible with 702 optional standby systems but what about 700 emergency systems?

I have ask a similar question to our AHJ. The answer really lies in the building codes. (for NC anyway) I ask this because we buy prefab buildings for our communication sites. The ones we are now receiving under a new contract are coming in with the manual double throw switch and 200amp rated plug for connection to a portable gen. unit in case of failure of the on site gen. I was told that these building did not meet the requirement for COPS. The inspector explained that if it were something like a 24/7 manned communication center then it would fall under the ruling. But a mfg. building only housing the equipment would not.

tryinghard

I have ask a similar question to our AHJ...The inspector explained that if it were something like a 24/7 manned communication center then it would fall under the ruling. But a mfg. building only housing the equipment would not.
I'm not so sure the inspector can "dub" the COPS
"Critical operations power systems are those systems so classed by municipal, state, federal, or other codes by any governmental agency having jurisdiction or by facility engineering documentation establishing the necessity for such a system." The inspector might be the recipient of someone elses determination though and therefor enforce it.

ceb58

I'm not so sure the inspector can "dub" the COPS
"Critical operations power systems are those systems so classed by municipal, state, federal, or other codes by any governmental agency having jurisdiction or by facility engineering documentation establishing the necessity for such a system." The inspector might be the recipient of someone elses determination though and therefor enforce it.

For more clarity the inspectors I have to deal with work for the person that is the AHJ for our state. The are in direct employment with out Dept. of Admin. and Dept. of Insurance who oversees all code regulation and enforcement. These guy are not the local inspector that makes things up as they go. Talk about an inspection these guys can quote the code books including the article with out missing a beat.

tryinghard

For more clarity the inspectors I have to deal with work for the person that is the AHJ for our state. The are in direct employment with out Dept. of Admin. and Dept. of Insurance who oversees all code regulation and enforcement. These guy are not the local inspector that makes things up as they go. Talk about an inspection these guys can quote the code books including the article with out missing a beat.
This is at least one of the benefits of a formal contract, if compliance is viewed as such. If the case is more design build interpretation for compliance can be difficult and sometimes not respected, not true with all design build though.

Status
Not open for further replies.