400 Hertz

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskrat

I know one of you fine people mentioned working on an AF base, but does anyone know about U/L listing or anything else about 208Y/120 at 400 htz? Any isues about heat or whatever when using or connecting to it?

Thanx

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Simply, the higher frequency allows for most equipment to run cooler, or for the same rating to be physically smaller and lighter.

In case you you (or anyone else) need it, I have a 400Hz phase rotation direction tester I have no use for, a Knopp K-6.

beanland

400Hz

400Hz

The essence of 400Hz is that the power that you can transform through a transformer is proportional to the frequency. A 400Hz transformer is a lot smaller than the same 60Hz kVA-rated transformer. That means weight and size. However, 400Hz has a shorter wavelength so has more impedance issues since reactance is a function of inductance and frequency. 400Hz is found on ships and some aircraft.

BTW 133Hz was also a common frequency for power before 50/60Hz became standard.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The skin effect will worse than at 60 Hz.

It depends on the wire size. for smaller wires, the difference is not significant.

IIRC, wire sizes below 1/0 are generally OK at 400 Hz.

Square D has data for the CBs and panelboards for these frequencies.

Be advised that the interrupting capacity of CBs is much lower than at 60 Hz.

Use non-ferrous conduit and/or cable tray.

Last edited:

muskrat

Thanx all for the responses so far. This is going to be a feeder to an EPU that converts 480 3ph delta/grounded-b at 60 hz to 120/208Y 4 wire at 400hz. run +/- 20' to 4 pole transfere sw/ with other source their genny's then feeding radome. Gen and radar cord connected.(ie no distance)

Thanks L. Fine, they have the meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.