200 panel with another 200 amp subpanel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The 200 amp panels I have seen will only take a 125 amp breaker on the bus bar.

Yes , snap- in panel to 125 amp but bolt- in panels to 175amp! With a 225 amp buss .

Square D has 150 - 200 amp plug on breakers in both Homeline and QO series.

QO2200, and HOM2200BB are catalog numbers for the 200 amp versions. They use 4 pole spaces in the panel.

They may not be cost effective way to do an installation but are available.

There are some panels with feed thru lugs on opposite end of bus from main breaker. These panels (on plug in style breaker panels) are usually limited amount of spaces for branch circuits to be installed however.

I use these often if power hits the garage first because it is closer to utility source. There are other ways to do it but these usually are less cost when it is all said and done. Or a meter main with subfeed lugs and spaces for branch circuits.

What is in the garage that requires 200 amps? Doesn't hurt to supply 200 amps capacity but not very often is that much needed in a residential garage. Unless there is electric heat in there I can't recall seeing a residential garage that could not be fed with 60 amps service or feeder.

add: you get these people that think they need a lot of power in their workshop because they have a lot of power tools, but the reality is unless they have several people out there using many of them at the same time they will not have very much load running at any given time. I know I can only use one power tool and sometimes an accessory at one time. Maybe an air compressor will kick on when using something else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.