Traffic Light Install???

Status
Not open for further replies.

horrorsix

A customer of mine has an actual traffic light that he wants wired up in his garage. He wants it to slowly flash from red, yellow, green. Does anyone know what kind of switching relay I would need to accomplish this? I checked with my local electrical supply house and they had no idea.

hmspe

Occupation
PE
You could use a light chaser like http://www.topdjgear.com/mbtk44lich.html if you want green, yellow, and red to each have the same "on" time. You would need to check specs to be sure the unit you will run only three channels and that the "on" time of the unit can be set long enough.

You could also use a repeat cycle timing relay (relay 1) and a timing relay (relay 2). Relay 1 would light the green lamp when in the "energized" state and would pass power to relay 2 in the "unenergized" state. Relay 2 would be set for "delay on" and would pass power from relay 1 to the yellow lamp during the relay 2 timing period, then change to the red lamp. Relay 1 would be set for something like 25 seconds on then 35 seconds off, then repeat. Relay 2 would be set to delay 5 seconds before energizing its contacts.

kwired

Electron manager
An inexpensive PLC may work pretty well and may easliy be able to give you more options than simple timing relays with some additional programming and some inputs to initiate the options.

There are a few differernt ways to do it with simple timing relays but possibly needing three timers that can easily cost $70 - $100 suddenly makes some PLC's worth consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.