oversized wire for 20A circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have a project where the Engineer requested that we pull #4 copper for (4) 20A circuits due to the footages. The issue is that #4 will not terminate onto a Siemans 20A breaker. The max for the breaker is #10. Can you use a pin adapter? Has anyone doe this?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
By my calculations, you need to be looking at 400 foot runs, to warrant using #4. Is that what you are dealing with?

You can use few inches of #10 at the breaker, transition up to #4 for the run, then transition back down to #10 (or even #12) when you get close to the load. I don't know what devices are available to do this job, but the NEC will allow it.

Please note that the EGC will have to be #4 for this run.

480sparky

If this is for lighting on a contactor, just run #10 between the breaker and the contactor. You may or may not have the same issue at the contactor, but most are rated for 30a, so they'll take larger conductors than a breaker.

These circuits are are for critical sever's for computers. The run is 550' long. I guess we can add a can above the panel and use some insulated termial blocks to downsize the wire. I was trying to avoid that due the lack of space in the ceiling. Someone mentioned compression pin adapters.

cadpoint

ilsco is one of the manufactures that make reducing pin(s).

>> It comes up as an unsecure web page << but

Here is a direct link to their ACM AL Pin (compression)

nizak

Would running a subfeed and setting a small panel near the equipment be to your advantage? Are these 120 or 240V circuits?

hurk27

These circuits are are for critical sever's for computers. The run is 550' long. I guess we can add a can above the panel and use some insulated termial blocks to downsize the wire. I was trying to avoid that due the lack of space in the ceiling. Someone mentioned compression pin adapters.

Why?

There is nothing in the NEC that dosent allow splicing in a panel?

dbuckley

These circuits are are for critical sever's for computers. The run is 550' long.

As an IT person, if my sole source of critical power is coming from 550 feet away I'd be quite worried, lots of bad things can happen on a run that long. Of course, it may be that this is not the sole source or there is close by resiliance, such as UPSs.

Status
Not open for further replies.