faulty motion light

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I've got a customer who I've replaced a motion sensing flood light for twice in the last 3 months. Has anyone here had problems with Heath/Zenith brand fixtures? Both times the fixtures seem to work fine for awhile then I'll get a call that the llight will not turn off(same scenario on both fixtures).Sensing and range of motion seem to be fine when I put them up and test them but have had the same reason for return calls on both.In the past I've had issues with the more elaborate ones that have far too many functions to begin with but never with the less technical type models. Thanks.

Nium

Haven't had problems. Just installed a bottom of line model the other month so we'll see. The warranty covers 2-years so if you hadn't I'd say give Heath/Zenith a call.

If your not using incandescent double check fixture is rated for lamp being used.

From their trouble shooting guide...
Lights stay on
continuously.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
1. A flood lamp is positioned too close to
the sensor or pointed at nearby objects
that cause heat to trigger the sensor.
(Reposition the lamp away from the
sensor or nearby objects).
2. Light control is pointed toward a heat
source like an air vent, dryer vent, or
brightly-painted heat-reflective surface.
(Reposition sensor).
3. Light control is in Manual Mode. (Switch
to Auto.)

hurk27

I've got a customer who I've replaced a motion sensing flood light for twice in the last 3 months. Has anyone here had problems with Heath/Zenith brand fixtures? Both times the fixtures seem to work fine for awhile then I'll get a call that the light will not turn off(same scenario on both fixtures).Sensing and range of motion seem to be fine when I put them up and test them but have had the same reason for return calls on both.In the past I've had issues with the more elaborate ones that have far too many functions to begin with but never with the less technical type models. Thanks.

Heath/Zenith has a function called a stay on over ride, if these are fed from a switch and the switch is turned off for just a second and turned back on they will lock on, even without a switch if power is removed for just a second such as a brown out from the POCO, the same thing happens.

This is why I always install a switch somewhere for these, and instruct the home owner that when this occurs just to flip it off for a second and turn it back on, then Waite for the time out for it to turn off.

ceb58

I have one on my house that's stuck on. Waiting for the lamps to burn out so I can put a stealth up there ;)

The RAB stealth is the only thing I will install (if I am supplying the fixture) never had a call back on them yet.
On a side note I have seen a new one stealth has out. It is a wall mount 500w quartz. When the detector picks you up the light will follow you. The light head will move 210deg.

WorkSafe

Don't know if this is relevant to your issue, but I've had numerous complaints about motion fixtures coming on by themselves, and it turns out that the "smart" electric meters recently installed by PG&E here in Northern CA transmit their data on the same bandwidth that motion sensors do.

Not sure about that. Smart meters typically transmit at the 900mhz-2.4ghz range and motion lights typically at the 300-400mhz range. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.