Instant Water Heater Disconnect Under Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
You can also use a heat pump water heater which will cool the space around it thus also reducing your A/C cost.

Now you have an increase in heating load in the winter because the water heater is stealing heat from the conditioned space.

if 110.26 doesnt apply then why are we required to provide clearance to one of these when used with an a/c unit?

110.26 is sometimes abused by inspectors. How are you going to comply with 110.26 for a disconnect for an air handler located above a suspended ceiling?

What is in a non fused disconnect that is "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized" besides checking voltage? I have checked voltage in many places that are not otherwise required to comply with 110.26.

If you are following OSHA guidelines you are not working on anything while energized and maybe 110.26 is pointless. Yet you have to verify that there is no voltage before you can work on it.

mivey

Now you have an increase in heating load in the winter because the water heater is stealing heat from the conditioned space.
But I have a heat pump for the conditioned space also. At 300% efficiency, I'm golden. Even when combined with heat strips, most of the time I'm over 200% for the house heat pump.

kwired

Electron manager
But I have a heat pump for the conditioned space also. At 300% efficiency, I'm golden. Even when combined with heat strips, most of the time I'm over 200% for the house heat pump.

I understand very well as I have goethermal heat pump with hot water generation circuit. I have never used back up heat unless there was something wrong with the heat pump. Biggest problem so far has been water valves that still open but do not actuate the proving switch that starts compressor after proving the valve is open.

Instant waters seem like a good idea but many people never mention installation and maintenance costs and the overall payback. Most electric units designed for whole house use are going to require an increase in service capacity. I have never hooked one up. Had a few requests to do so but after telling customer how much it was going to cost just to have enough power to run the thing they change their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.