Space above Flourescent Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to locate the minimum space required above a 2 x 4 drop in fixture in a suspended ceiling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
410.115(A) states that the recessed fixture shall be installed so that adjacent combustible material will not be subject to temperatures above 90C.

kwired

Electron manager
With magnetic ballasts we used to notice that if thermal insulation was installed directly on top of luminaires that there seemed to be more ballast failure likely due to less dissipation of heat because of the insulation. No real study done on this just seems that places that had insulation installed that way had more service calls requiring ballast changes.

Not sure if similar problems appear with electronic ballasts. I have not run into many luminaires covered in insulation that had electronic ballasts in the first place.

NEC does not address it other than what Dennis mentioned.

kwired

Electron manager
There is a separation requirement for low density celluose fiberboard unless the luminaire is marked for the condition but that would not apply to lay ins unless there is an old ceiling with low density celluose fiberboard located above the dropped ceiling.

drop ceiling grid

drop ceiling grid

not electrically based, but I remember being told (or overhearing) that the grid should never be closer than 4" to the ceiling joist or "finished" ceiling. I believe this had to do with being able to get the tiles and fixtures in place. Don't think it had anything to do with any electrical or building codes, but not sure.

MarkyMarkNC

I've stuffed more 2x4's than I can remember right underneath duct work with no room to spare.

Tell the tin bangers you need 5 inches and they leave you 3 inches :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.