14/4 nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Southwire now has 14/4 NM, blk, red & 2 whites. So far, no one here carries it. Has anyone else seen it out & around? I am quoting a job where it would be a great thing to have. Good for 2 ckts or going over to a dead end 3 way & have a neutral. 2011 code will require a neutral in every switchbox, or being able to add it later.

badabing

We used it in residential. One of the white's had a red line down it to identify it. It's been around for a while now.

ceb58

You may want to check the pricing first. From what I have been quoted I can buy 2000ft 12-2 cheaper that 1000ft 12-2/2.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You may want to check the pricing first. From what I have been quoted I can buy 2000ft 12-2 cheaper that 1000ft 12-2/2.
That's likely. 12-3 and 14-3 are usually just about twice their -2 counterparts per foot.

(I need to clean my screen - I keep trying to delete commas that aren't there. :roll:)

jmellc

Occupation
Strange, I just saw on another forum too, that it had been around for awhile. I'd never heard of it before & surely never seen it. Easy way to eliminate MWBC and have a neutral to any dead end 3 way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've used it a few times in the past 3 or 4 years. Might cost more but certainly saves on labor, especially on long home runs. Think that I bought some at Home Depot.

jmellc

Occupation
I like to use it. On home runs I can stuff four of them through a hole and the inspector doesn't say a word about the stupid bundling requirements, plus it has the added psychological benefit of making me feel like I am running a MWBC.

Our inspectors are generous on "bundling". They define it as having a tie wrap around it.

I am still not finding any supply houses in my city that have it. A couple have never heard of it. I surely haven't seen it at Big Orange or Big Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.