Does an Electric Vechicle Charger installed outside need a disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Scenario: Electric Vehicle charger installed outside, about 25 ft from its source (a building) next to a parking stall.
The charger is fed with a 40 amp branch circuit, 240 volt single phase. These devices are about 1 ft square, 4 ft tall, with about a 15 ft supply cord for the EV charging

Does this charger require a disconnect (and grounding electrodes)?
Consider:
It meets the Art 100 definition of a structure
225.31 and 32 require a disconnect )disconnect then requires a grounding system per 250.30

225.32 gives us exception 3 for lighting poles, that the disconnect can be located elsewhere.

Soon thousands of these chargers will be installed by cities and businesses.

Being installed by parking stalls they become a bumper magnet and if damaged, how do we access the disconnecting means? How do we turn off the power if the charging cord is cut and stolen?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have worked with the enginners for several different manufactures of these, they have a disconnect inside the unit, but it is not accessable without removing a panel. On the level III chargers we have a disconnect within site because they require a seperate service at the locations we are installing them.

hurk27

If this vehicle charger is not considered electrical equipment and is in fact a structure then I have to agree that 225.31 would require a disconnect, at or close as possible to where the conductors enter the structure 225.32.
You might be able to use exception 1 if it applies?

If this charger is considered an appliance then it can be located within site, or use a breaker lock 422.31(B)?

Think of this:
How many pools we install a lamp box for fiber optic lighting only using a breaker lock or the "within site rule"?
when does an appliance change from a appliance to a structure? is it based upon size? or what? these lamp box's also fit the definition of a structure.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
NEC does not seem to help us much. If it were 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, 625.23 would require the disconnect to be installed in a readily accessible location. My under standing is that many of the larger units have service rated disconnects built in.
If we consider it a "structure" per NEC definition, as noted it would need a service rated disconnect (225.31,32,36). With one 40 amp circuit, it would appear the exception to 250.32(a)(1) would allow the install without a grounding electrode,
I agree with concern that the charger might be a "bumper", but so might an added
disconnect.
I fear there will be no "standard" in these installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.