Bar joists

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think not. They would be considered part of the building structure, and fair game.

Otherwise, there are a lot of violations around.

Steve

iwire

Staff member
Many times we are not allowed to secure anything from the bottom chord of bar joists. This is a building code / manufacturers thing.

tkb

You can't run conduits or cable on top of the bar joists in the deck webbing anymore.

ZinskI/E

You can't run conduits or cable on top of the bar joists in the deck webbing anymore.

It's been awhile since I've worked in a building with webbed decking. When did this change and what's the code reference?

I remember back in 2001 we had a building with joists 9'-6" apart and we could cut bundles of conduit down by 8" and run a hundred feet without ever having to move the ladder.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Do you mean above the top chord of the bar joist (in the deck "waffle") or in the space between the top and bottom chords?

ZinskI/E

Do you mean above the top chord of the bar joist (in the deck "waffle") or in the space between the top and bottom chords?

According to 300.4(e) (thanks again to rcarroll) you can only run in the "waffle" if there is at least 1 1/2" of clearance from the decking to the EMT or cable, and I haven't seen many corrugated decks with that much clearance. Between the top and bottom chords is still acceptable.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
According to 300.4(e) (thanks again to rcarroll) you can only run in the "waffle" if there is at least 1 1/2" of clearance from the decking to the EMT or cable, and I haven't seen many corrugated decks with that much clearance. Between the top and bottom chords is still acceptable.

Yes you are allowed to run conduit in the 'waffle' (area directly under roof decking) BUT it has to be rigid or intermediate metal conduit see 300.4 (E)(exception)

Status
Not open for further replies.