HUD vs NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

I have extensive experience hooking up mobile homes. Most of these are HUD certified, and have a metal nameplate affixed on the outside designating such.

It has been my understanding that HUD homes may not necessarily have to comply with the latest NEC requirements. One example is the arc-fault circuit interrupter requirements contained in section 550.25(B).

The NEC Handbook notes that this requirement does not supersede the current HUD 3280 requirements for factory-installed wiring in manufactured homes.

Usually, when I hook up a mobile home, I am only dealing with the service pedestal and feeder cable connections. Today, I had an inspector require that AFCI circuit breakers be installed for the bedroom outlets.

Now, I am caught between the manufacturer of the home who states that HUD trumps the NEC, and refuses to pay for any changes. The inspector is just as stubborn, holding up the job until those changes are made. I have not had a chance to talk with the chief inspector on this matter, and will point out the paragraph in the handbook mentioning the HUD 3280 requirements. I figure once that point is made, the job will pass ....

Have you had any problems with this type of thing?

sweetcav

We have installed some arc fault in Doublewides but the dealer was paying for it when the house was ordered. HUD uses 2005 NEC with there own amedments

ceb58

In my dealings with Mobile homes as long as there is the HUD sticker in place and you have only installed the feeders to the panel the inspector cannot inspect anything passed the main breaker in the distribution panel. Unless you have done remodeling or additions to the home.

hurk27

HUD is Federal, which trumps state, which trumps local law, Follow the chain of command.

I have had a few problems like this and all I had to do is contact my state HUD department to straighten out a local inspector, you can call HUD in Washington to get your state HUDs phone number.

Yes this inspector is way out of line.

I'll try to find it on HUDs web site if I can.

Here is the contact for all states, just click on the state at the bottom on this page:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/ramh/mhs/mhssaa.cfm

Last edited:

hurk27

Oh and about the NEC verses 24 CFR 3280, here is what it say in 801 second paragraph:

? 3280.801 Scope.

(a) Subpart I of this part and Part II of Article 550 of the National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70–2005) cover the electrical conductors and equipment installed within or on manufactured homes and the conductors that connect manufactured homes to a supply of electricity.
(b) In addition to the requirements of this part and Part II of Article 550 of the National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70–2005), the applicable portions of other Articles of the National Electrical Code must be followed for electrical installations in manufactured homes. The use of arc-fault breakers under Articles 210.12(A) and (B), 440.65, and 550.25(A) and (B) of the National Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70–2005 is not required. However, if arc-fault breakers are provided, such use must be in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70–2005. Wherever the requirements of this standard differ from the National Electrical Code, these standards apply.

Above in red.

kbsparky

I had googled HUD 3280 and the first hit was a list of pdfs which referenced the 1993 NEC. I thought it might be a bit outdated.

Thanks for the current link, guys!

I did get thru to the chief inspector this morning, and pointed out the tan paragraph on page 885 of the handbook, which states that the NEC does not supersede the HUD 3280 requirements.

HE agreed, and is now going to issue a directive down the line to the rank & file inspectors. :)

kbsparky

In my dealings with Mobile homes as long as there is the HUD sticker in place and you have only installed the feeders to the panel the inspector cannot inspect anything passed the main breaker in the distribution panel.....

This has been my experience for years up to now. Since I work in several different jurisdictions, I have to keep `em all up to date! ;)

ivsenroute

If you added circuits, receptacles, etc. or made alterations to the mobile home then it is subject to local jurisdiction.

HUD only controls the mobile home when it is brand new and delivered to the first jobsite from the factory. After that, if it is moved, local jurisdiction applies. That is how PA has it set up with HUD and the PA DCED and PA L&I.

Status
Not open for further replies.