labor rates/ job conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Do most here simply use one labor rate regardless of work conditions? I realize a poor condition will most likely require a longer period of time to do the job, but as far as the aggravation part of it is that worth more$$? Two scenarios (1) attic job with 10" of blown in cellulose, 3' vertical height, and 3 60' crawls to other end of house to complete the work. (2) 4 block crawl space with pools scattered thru out work area. I have already determined the cost, just curious if I'm being out of line by figuring 1.5X my normal rate. Thanks.

kiddrock

We always try to figure a pain in the you know what fee B/C it is surley going to take more time and possibly more material.

CopperTone

figure in the cost of tyvek suits and respirators and goggles. 3 ft clearance in 10" of blown in stuff is pretty messy.

I would either charge 1.5 my regular rate or 1.5 the amount of time I thought it would take - which is the same thing. PITA factor. If you are giving a bid price then they don't have to know how long you think it will take. plus - plan on going home and changing when you are finished and bring a vacumm for when you exit the attic - you will make a mess on your way out.

cdslotz

Are you guys showing the 1.5 PTA factor to the customer when you invoice? Or are you settling on a price before you proceed?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
This sounds to me like a job for a couple of apprentices.

One apprentice I had a while back showed his appreciation for being the one to go in the attic by drilling out the side of an interior wall rather than straight down into the stud cavity.

Four times.

In one day.

Guess who had to do the patching?

You know, there's not enough character symbols in this computer to show the thoughts I was having....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One apprentice I had a while back showed his appreciation for being the one to go in the attic by drilling out the side of an interior wall rather than straight down into the stud cavity.
Unsupervised (if it was his first time drilling down)? :confused:

Four times.

In one day.
How was it allowed to happen twice? :confused:

Guess who had to do the patching?
So, he had nothing to lose. :roll:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Unsupervised (if it was his first time drilling down)? :confused:

How was it allowed to happen twice? :confused:

So, he had nothing to lose. :roll:

He was a 3rd year, it wasn't his first rodeo.

Didn't know he made any mistakes until the second hole, the first was right above a tall bookshelf where I didn't notice it. The 3rd and 4th mistake happened right after each other while I was tossing materials up through the scuttle hole away from where the drilling was going on.

Fortunately, he doesn't work for us any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.