"Seismic Occupancy II and Design Category B"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Designing an apartment, half existing/remodel, half new. Architect says it is in a seismic zone (northern Illinois/greater Chicago area) and structural engineer calculates it as "Seismic Occupancy II and Design Category B".

I've looked through the NEC ('08), the IBC ('06) and this forum, but still can't figure out what to do with that information. IBC 1613 references ASCE 7, which I have not yet located a copy of in our office but assume our structural engineer has one. Does that hold the key to all my questions? Any rules of thumb? Normally I design in areas where the buildings don't shake, so not sure how to proceed.

Thanks!

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Per ASCE 7-02, mechanical and electrical components in Seismic Design Category B are exempt from seismic bracing requirements. You wouldn't need to do anything for seismic.

(Systems in Seismic Design Category C would need seismic restraint for systems with and "Importance Factor (IP)" greater than 1.0. This would include components that contain hazardous content and components required to function after an earthquake.)

Status
Not open for further replies.