Required bathroom receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

I have a customer who has a bathroom that has one receptacle, located in a manner that does not meet the requirements of 210.52D, using the 2005 NEC. What he wants is to add two more receptacles onto this branch circuit, one directly across from the sink, and another on the wall outside of the bathroom. At first, I was going to tell him that I have to do this a certain way to meet the requirements for the 20amp dedicated circuit in the bathroom. However, what I have decided upon, is to give him what he asked for, using GFCI receptacles in the bathroom, especially as I don't know if the existing receptacle is on its own 20 amp circuit. I will tell him that while what he asks for is legal, that he still needs a dedicated 20 amp receptacle per the NEC. As I understand the code, it does not prohibit other circuits in the bathroom, even if their branch circuits go to receptacles outside of the bathroom. Does my reasoning sound correct?

shepelec

Your lighting can feed other circuits but the 20A outlet circuit can only feed outlets in the bathroom. If you are only dealing with one bathroom that circuit can feed other loads in the same bathroom, It can not extend beyond that one room.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This has been discussed previously on the Forum so a "search" might be in order.
As I recall there was no mutually agreed upon answer. Many read 210.11(C)(3) to mean that all receptacles in the bath shall be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit which shall supply no other outlets other than listed in the exception.
Others feel as long as you have supplied the one required 20 amp dedicated
circuit/outlet, you may add other receptacles from other circuits.
The final decision rests with your AHJ.

danickstr

Let's say a bathroom is 40 feet long. They only want one outlet at the sink within 3 feet of the basin? And do not want any others on any other circuit? Sounds very restrictive.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a customer who has a bathroom that has one receptacle, located in a manner that does not meet the requirements of 210.52D, using the 2005 NEC. What he wants is to add two more receptacles onto this branch circuit, one directly across from the sink, and another on the wall outside of the bathroom. At first, I was going to tell him that I have to do this a certain way to meet the requirements for the 20amp dedicated circuit in the bathroom. However, what I have decided upon, is to give him what he asked for, using GFCI receptacles in the bathroom, especially as I don't know if the existing receptacle is on its own 20 amp circuit. I will tell him that while what he asks for is legal, that he still needs a dedicated 20 amp receptacle per the NEC. As I understand the code, it does not prohibit other circuits in the bathroom, even if their branch circuits go to receptacles outside of the bathroom. Does my reasoning sound correct?

We all agree that this cannot be on the bathroom receptacle circuit. It would also likely require AFCI protection.

Cavie

Let's say a bathroom is 40 feet long. They only want one outlet at the sink within 3 feet of the basin? And do not want any others on any other circuit? Sounds very restrictive.

Remember, the NEC is the minimum requirement. 1 is the minimum. If you want more they will be gfi'd and on 20 amp dedicated circuit. This is one of those common sence things. It would be rather stupid to make you install one outlet on 20 amp gfi circuit then let you willy nilly install outlets as you please.

Last edited:

SBuck

2008 NEC : 210.11(C)3 at least one 20-amp branch cicuit shall be provided to supply bathroom recepticle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

The way I am reading it you can add multiple outlets in the bathroom from that one 20 amp circuit.

Maybe they need to change the last sentence to say "The bathroom circuit shall not be used to supply outlets in other rooms."

knoppdude

Remember, the NEC is the minimum requirement. 1 is the minimum. If you want more they will be gfi'd and on 20 amp dedicated circuit. This is one of those common sence things. It would be rather stupid to make you install one outlet on 20 amp gfi circuit then let you willy nilly install outlets as you please.
While I agree with the GFCI requirement, where in the NEC does it say that you can only have the one 20 amp circuit with receptacle(s) located within 3ft of the outside edge of the basin? As I understand what the NEC is saying is that you must have a 20amp circuit with at least one GFCI receptacle within the designated area, and that this 20 amp circuit shall only supply bathroom receptacles that are required, not that you can't have other receptacles, which common sense tells me should be GFCI protected. I may be wrong on this though, but if I am wrong, any additional circuits and receptacles could only be located within 3 feet of the edge of the basin.

John120/240

Homeowner wanted switched recptacles under all of the windows that faced the

street for christmas decorations. Two bathrooms on the street side of house.

We installed 20 amp GFCI at the basin for general use. For the switched recptacles

we installed 15 amp circuit with GFCI device in the two bathrooms, standard

recptacles in the other locations. Total of seven recptacles were switched.

knoppdude

I now have every reference book I own out, and have looked at this subject in all of them. None of them really address this issue in detail other than to repeat what the code already says. So, I am going to defer to the authority having jurisdiction. I have never had a code issue get under my skin like this one. I respect the knowledge and opinions of everyone on this forum, but while I may have reached the wrong conclusion, I haven't found anything explicitly limiting bathroom receptacles to that which is mandatory by the NEC. I will let you guys know what the local AHJ says.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
While I agree with the GFCI requirement, where in the NEC does it say that you can only have the one 20 amp circuit with receptacle(s) located within 3ft of the outside edge of the basin? As I understand what the NEC is saying is that you must have a 20amp circuit with at least one GFCI receptacle within the designated area, and that this 20 amp circuit shall only supply bathroom receptacles that are required, not that you can't have other receptacles, which common sense tells me should be GFCI protected. I may be wrong on this though, but if I am wrong, any additional circuits and receptacles could only be located within 3 feet of the edge of the basin.

The receptacle(s) means 1 or more receptacles. Another bathroom's receptacles may be on it too, or may be on their own ckt. Never had an inspector turn down either way. On a budget job, I put all baths together. On higher end jobs, I put each bath to itself or 2 and 2, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.