Xmas lights in a restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I suppose that, ultimately, the NEC will have to be modified as it was when someone made an illuminated clothes rod.

This push will have to come from some manufacturer, who is willing to create a product that will withstand the more demanding ageing tests that are required by UL for 'the usual' fixtures. As it is, the manufacturers' presentation of these as 'temporary' allow for relaxed requirements. This is especially true for outdoor lights.

The change might be a subtle one. For example ... what if the UL lable on the string simply said 'lighting fixture,' and not 'holiday lights?' The end product would look the same, but the violation would be solved.

iwire

Staff member
I disagree with the previous responses. The lights themselves do not constitute an electrical installation. The installation to which the 90 day limit applies is the manner of providing power to them. If there is a permanently and properly installed receptacle outlet into which the lights are plugged, then they can stay there forever. It is no different than setting a lamp upon a coffee table, plugging it into the nearest receptacle, and leaving it there for years. The lamp is not the "electrical installation," the receptacle is.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that the fire department inspectors in my area will not see it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.