Heat tape in freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin

We are installing outlets for heat tapes in freezers to keep the drain lines from freezing. The receptacles will be 120 volt. My question is do these receptalces need to be provided with GF for personal or equipment protection. Or does it need to be protected at all? It is located indoors so 426 doesn't seem to apply. I guessing 427 is the correct article.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, if the freezer is outdoors than a GFCI receptacle is required, even though the inside of the freezer isn't technically outdoors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Most "plug-in" type heat trace comes with instructions that specify GFCI protection. If this is not "plug-in" trace, then 427.22 would require equipment ground fault protection.

shockin

There are a number of coolers / freezers and they are all located indoors - new grocery store. The heat tape is provided by the cooler installers and comes in a 500' roll and they just cut to length what they need. They will then butt splice on a chunck of SOW cord to which I can attach a male cord cap or hard wire it.

I will check to see what the mfg. recommends as far as ground fault protection. Regardless of that, it sounds like GF for equipment is required by the NEC?

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.