Article 610 permits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishspark

Occupation
Electrician
Are any of you obtaining electrical permits or having inspections done on overhead Cranes or Hoists?
we havent so far, and have been told in a few Cities that its either not required or exempt from permit work by local ordiance etc.

just wondering what your experiance on this is?

am i missing something, or should this be like any other NEC install < meaning obtain permit - call for inspection > ? ie 610.1

cordially

John120/240

If there is a section in the code book for a specific installation, (cranes, hoist , etc)

I would expect to be inspected to verify that the code was followed. The only

reason that I can think of to not have it inspected is if the inspector was not

qualified to inspect cranes, or hoist.

renosteinke

Lest I sound like Bill Clinton, define "permit" and define "inspection."

For the original installation, the usual building permit inspection can be done.

For continued operation of the crane, things get trickier. There's both the matter of OSHA and the issue of the manufacturers' warranty. Typically, under certain maintenance programs the 'factory' inspections and tests can be performed at extended intervals.

The in-plant maintenance program will include weekly inspections and monthly adjustments. ISO protocols will address the calibration of load cells, etc.

What I'm about to say is pure heresy to the bureaucrat: here's one example of where letting the market work is best. Those cranes are simply too critical to the operation of a plant to be neglected for long. That crane is broke, the production stops. Period. Thus, it's rare for things to get too out of hand- little stoppages tend to precend catastrophic ones, so there's plenty of notice that a major repair is coming up. Add to that the long lead time for parts - 16 weeks is common - and the sloppy operator is quickly out of business.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the crane fall under the jurisdiction of the AHJ that typically does other electrical inspections. His jurisdiction may cover the supply to the crane but stops there.

GUNNING

Permit...licensing...inspections...

Permit...licensing...inspections...

Locally here you would need a permit, BUT if it was a permit from the county it would cover the whole construction project and not just the crane electrical. If it was the City it would cover just the electrical and not the construction of the crane or hoist. It would depend on the jurisdiction. The entity that got the permit would be the only one authorized to call for the inspection(s).

Then there would be the State certifications, permitting, inspections, & licensing for continued use. Don't forget the annual fees.

Needless to say local rules apply. They are the ones that have to decide if they are qualified to do the inspection or not. The state here decides if the local building department has the right credentials, if not they have options. Like getting the state inspector or getting an engineer to inspect the work.

I think if its a named manufacturer of a product then you are the expert on the installation and don't need an inspection. The Mobile Home manufacturing association has a powerful lobby here and has that option to not have there products initially inspected when manufactured. They also have there own set of codes.

Speaking to which the Florida building code has as a section with the NEC incorporated into it. I would think a permit would be needed locally here to assemble a crane or hoist. It might be covered under the original overall permit.

Fishspark

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for your response,
I agree with John120/240 and yes kwired, falls under AHJ typically. So.. if I?m reading 610.1 correctly, I would think it would be just as important as say.. 680.1 or any other ? regardless if it was the initial installation or modifications or replacements that?s all.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for your response,
I agree with John120/240 and yes kwired, falls under AHJ typically. So.. if I?m reading 610.1 correctly, I would think it would be just as important as say.. 680.1 or any other ? regardless if it was the initial installation or modifications or replacements that?s all.

I mentioned whether or not the installation is under jurisdiction of AHJ because of other instances I have seen where it may not be.

I don't know if cranes are within the AHJ jurisdiction here or not. I do know passenger elevators are not within State Electrical Division jurisdiction here. They will inspect up to the disconnect at elevator equipment, after that there is a different inspector for the elevator that takes over. I could see a similar situation for a crane. Whether the elevator inspector follows NEC or not I do not know, but it is his jurisdiction and I'm sure he does have a code for electrical equipment.

masterinbama

I have had authorities tell me no permits are required on all types of work. I did a hotel remodel in one town and was told that since I was not adding any loads or circuits permits were not needed. Did the same type job in a town 25 miles down the road and had to permit each room separately The thing is always check and all should be fine..

kwired

Electron manager
.. I did a hotel remodel in one town and was told that since I was not adding any loads or circuits permits were not needed...

I assume that means that all you did was replace devices and fixtures, others probably only repaired and refinished walls, doors, windows and furnishings. That is not really remodeling it is just maintenance.

610 permits

610 permits

I worked for three crane companies over 20 years intalling hundreds of cranes in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana, and never saw a permit pulled or was I ever asked for one. It might be reasonable for a building inspector to require a permit for the crane ruway and/or the crane electrification, but the crane itself isn't part of the building.

kwired

Electron manager
I worked for three crane companies over 20 years intalling hundreds of cranes in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana, and never saw a permit pulled or was I ever asked for one. It might be reasonable for a building inspector to require a permit for the crane ruway and/or the crane electrification, but the crane itself isn't part of the building.

I know little about cranes but they probably have to meet other standards (maybe UL maybe some other) and do not need thorough field inspection.

Like hooking up any other listed machine, the machine itself should not require inspection, just any incidental field wiring associated with it.

Mobile homes are another example. When connecting them all that gets inspected is what was installed in the field. The original wiring within the home is already approved via others.

Status
Not open for further replies.