Myers hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshane40

Using Myers hubs with grc nipple between a ct can and disconnect in a No Ring Knock out. Inspectors says i have to put a lug on hub and bond it with a bonding jumper, i say the way the hubs bite into the cans and nipple threads in to them all wrench tight that the race way is bonded. These dont have your normal lock nuts on them. Am i right on this? He is also trying to tell me i have to bond the myers hub i have in the disconnect that the grc feeder is screwed into has to be the same way. Now i know he is wrong on that.

Any advise would be great.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe the hub must be listed for service equipment and be listed for bonding. This is from the UL book

Grounding and Bonding Hubs — Grounding and bonding hubs are Listed hubs (see DWTT) provided with a Listed grounding or bonding locknut. They serve in a manner similar to grounding and bonding bushings except they are only for use with threaded rigid metal and intermediate metal conduit. Grounding hubs provide the electrical continuity required by NEC 250.92 at service equipment and the electrical continuity required by NEC 250.97 for circuits rated over 250 V.

hurk27

Myers hubs are already listed for sealing so a sealing locknut will be of little use, but the bonding requirment is required, and Myers does offer hubs with a bonding lug on them for this purpose, there is a thread on here about this, I dont under stand why it can be just bonded at the other end?

akshane40

crouse-hinds responce

crouse-hinds responce

This is the responce i got back from the manufacturer.

Re. Myers Hubs

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to certify that Crouse-Hinds Myers Scru-Tite? hubs meet the UL requirements for ground continuity. The ST series hubs are listed to UL standard 514B and have been tested to this standard to insure the ground integrity of the conduit system. The UL requirements include a resistance test that measures the millivolt drop between the conduit and the outside of the enclosure. The UL test requires the voltage drop to be less than 10 millivolts. The Scru-Tite hubs meet this requirement and provide superior ground continuity.

The STG series hub with ground terminal are required when running conduit into a non-metallic enclosure.

If you have any further questions, please give us a call.

Yours truly,

Brad Delans
Product Line Manager
Fittings

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is the responce i got back from the manufacturer.

Re. Myers Hubs

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to certify that Crouse-Hinds Myers Scru-Tite? hubs meet the UL requirements for ground continuity. The ST series hubs are listed to UL standard 514B and have been tested to this standard to insure the ground integrity of the conduit system. The UL requirements include a resistance test that measures the millivolt drop between the conduit and the outside of the enclosure. The UL test requires the voltage drop to be less than 10 millivolts. The Scru-Tite hubs meet this requirement and provide superior ground continuity.

The STG series hub with ground terminal are required when running conduit into a non-metallic enclosure.

If you have any further questions, please give us a call.

Yours truly,

Brad Delans
Product Line Manager
Fittings

I don't see how that helps with a service raceway. Regular old locknuts are OK for bonding of non service raceways too.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I believe the inspector is talking about the supply side bonding jumper.

Bonding Jumper, Supply-Side. A conductor installed on
the supply side of a service or within a service equipment
enclosure(s), or for a separately derived system, that ensures
the required electrical conductivity between metal
parts required to be electrically connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.