Window in an Emergency Electrical Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'm taking over a patient room in a hospital for a new Emergency Electrical closet. The architect wants to keep the windows in this room which I may or may not be able to do from a layout perspective. But I'd like to disuade him from doing this and was wondering if there is code support for my argument. I'm not aware of any? Are any of you?

Thanks,

Mike

iwire

Staff member
Windows are fine.

What are the chances they can either tint it black or otherwise make it look good from outside but still let the electrician place equipment in front of it.

We have done a few buildings with glass in the mechanical spaces that had been treated so you could not see in but looked right outdoors.

BJ Conner

Fire Rating

Fire Rating

If it's an existing window I would bet that it won't meet the building code. The UBC, IBC or what ever code covers the work will give you the required fire rating. I would guess 2-3 hours. Windows to meet that requirement are expensive.

mshields

rating of room

rating of room

Here in Mass, our emergency electrical rooms require a 2 hour rating. But I don't believe that applies to an outside wall. As such I don't believe the window would pose a concern there.

Status
Not open for further replies.