Ants in gfi receptace

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAWTON FOX

I replaced a gfi receptacle, I took the gfi apart and the circuit board was full of dead ants. Two weeks later the new gfi would not reset I took it apart ant it was full of dead ants. Has anyone seen ants short out gfi? THANKS

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had the same problem with a time clock in a barn. The ants ruined two time clocks in less then a month. We sprayed and everything. Finally moved the location and it was fine.

Also had an ant get into the control of a jen-aire stove about 30 years ago. The downdraft would not shut off. Took it apart- removed the ant and all was good.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just for future reference:
Once ants get into things, you have to take steps to keep them from returning. Ants leave behind an invisible chemical scent trail that their buddies follow, even to their deaths. That trail lasts for months if undisturbed. So if you find some ants in a receptacle or other device and clean them out, but the scent trail remains, more will follow at some point. Vinegar and water in a spray bottle or anything with Orange Oil s a good way to neutralize their scent trails (but don't spray on the electrical devices themselves).

rt66electric

carnivors

carnivors

Same problem tiny little beggars..

leave some cake icing around and they would not touch it, BUT , drop a kernel of fresh hambuger meat, and it would be covered with ants before you could get a paper towel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've used Terro brand ant bait. I like the bottle instead of the dispensers. You can drip it anywhere, the ants eat it up, and take it back to the colony. Two or three days is all it usually takes for them to disappear.

mtfallsmikey

Musings from the house plumber....

Musings from the house plumber....

No one probably will believe this one....went to look at a dead A.C. condensing unit at a church, breaker tripped, opened the access door, found a baby copperhead snake, and a small mouse, both dead. Got across the HV part of the contactor.

hockeyoligist2

I am constantly fighting the fire ants. They cause damage in receptacles, light switches, wire nuts, switch gear, and everything else! I have found dead snakes, rats, and squirrels between the contacts on switch gear about 30 times.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I hate finding LIVE snakes in electrical gear. Happens a lot in rural areas of the West, I've lost count of how many rattlesnakes I've seen when opening a door for the first time. I am ALWAYS cautious now when I'm out in the boonies.

I got chased down a trail by what I was told was a Cottonmouth when looking at a bad AC unit at my hotel in Florida once (I was dieing of the heat and the hotel maintenance guy was an idiot, I could tell it was just a blown fuse). Opened the switchgear cabinet door and the snake immediately took off after me, or at the very least I made the poor decision of running away in the direction he wanted to go. Either way, nobody thought it was funny at the time, apparently they are very poisonous and aggressive, more so that rattlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.