lockouts installed backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkerer

Occupation
Master Electrician and licensed contractor: mostly retired
I have a customer, a church, that has installed lockouts on the panel serving the sanctuary. They have installed them backwards so as to prevent someone from turning certain receptacle circuits off when turning the lights off. These are the cheap metal lockouts with a single screw. This seems like a bad idea to me. I thought about testing one of them by introducing an overload, but this seemed like a bad idea too. Anyone have any thoughts?

iwire

Staff member
I have a customer, a church, that has installed lockouts on the panel serving the sanctuary. They have installed them backwards so as to prevent someone from turning certain receptacle circuits off when turning the lights off. These are the cheap metal lockouts with a single screw. This seems like a bad idea to me. I thought about testing one of them by introducing an overload, but this seemed like a bad idea too. Anyone have any thoughts?

Nothing wrong with that at all and there is at least one section in the NEC that requires putting breaker 'lock on' devices.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Bob, and you don't have to test them, the breaker will trip with the lock in either the "lock on" or "lock off" position.

We do this on a regular basis for F/A systems, certain hospital circuits, security systems, etc...

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Breakers are required to be designed with a "trip free" function. While the words imply that the breaker won't trip, it really means that the breaker will trip even when the handle is locked in the on position.

Cavie

Those are not lockouts, although some think so. They are designed to be just what they are being used for LOCKONS. The breaker will trip. I used find them installed as lockouts for equipment and lack of disconects and turned them down many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.