Designated outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a few years back being called on having a duplex outlet on a designated circuit. It was for a microwave. The inspector made me change out all of my designated outlets to single outlets. hat does the code say about that in resi applications. TY

bullheimer

wow, good question.

wow, good question.

none of the AHJs around here bother with that. he might have had ampacity issues of the recept? don't know. could just be his interpretation. or maybe he's right and going by the letter of the law.

gonna need someone else besides me to help you out on this one. would apply to alot of things too, like washing machines, dishwashers etc.

hurk27

I remember a few years back being called on having a duplex outlet on a designated circuit. It was for a microwave. The inspector made me change out all of my designated outlets to single outlets. hat does the code say about that in resi applications. TY

NEC requirements for using a single outlet has been miss understood by many over the years.

The only place the NEC required a single outlet was where GFCI protection was required and a single outlet could be used to meet an exception, I seen inspectors requiring them for dishwashers, disposals, microwaves, and even garage door openers, but in reality in the past all of these never was require to be protected by a GFCI so there was no exception to meet.

Now some of this has change with the removal of the GFCI exception's in the 2008 code cycle, with the removal of these exceptions, the requirement of single receptacles also went out the door.

Now some will say that the requirements in 210.23 can require that a single receptacles must be used but I have yet seen this proved, as it only gives us guide to how much load is allowed to be plugged in, no where does it say a single receptacle must be installed.

bullheimer

in that same vein, could hurk or somebody please tell me what the deal is with undercabinet outlets in a kitchen now, like that dishwasher or disposal. and that is do they now have to be gfi protected also?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
in that same vein, could hurk or somebody please tell me what the deal is with undercabinet outlets in a kitchen now, like that dishwasher or disposal. and that is do they now have to be gfi protected also?

Neither a dishwasher, disposal nor under-cabinet lighting require GFCI protection.

bullheimer

well they never have. however i thought i saw where ALL kitchen outlets had to be gfi protected now, whether above or below the counter top. i guess i read it wrong. like that never happens. thx. could it have said that 'serve' the counter top whether above or below? i am sorry, i am just being lazy now.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
210.8 just states where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces. So an outlet on the side of the island that serves the countertop must be gfci protected. The wall recep., disposal. dishwasher etc do not need gfci protection.

bullheimer

thats good to know. even tho i just passed a final w/o them, sometimes they aren't up to the current cycle. thanks again.

hurk27

well they never have. however i thought i saw where ALL kitchen outlets had to be gfi protected now, whether above or below the counter top. i guess i read it wrong. like that never happens. thx. could it have said that 'serve' the counter top whether above or below? i am sorry, i am just being lazy now.

The only thing I can see is you might be thinking about a commercial kitchen?
Which the answer would be yes for plug in appliances.
See 210.8(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.