Kitchen counter ckts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The code says you need to have 2- (20A) kitchen appliance ckts, correct? If you have a third does it need to be 20A? I realize all need to be GFCI protected but if you have for instance, an outlet at a bill paying desk in a large kitchen can you put it on a 15A circuit, say with the lights?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it is clear that the 20 amp SABC must supply all receptales wall and floor as well as the countertops. 210.52(B)(1)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Kitchen counter receptacles must be on a sabc not all areas..........................
Don't think I quite agree here Dennis.
210.52(B) requires all kitchen (dining, etc) to be served by 20 amp circuits.
Admitingly it's a fine line but if the desk is in the kitchen....................

Cavie

It's in the kitchen, it's a counter top. One person might use it to pay bills. Usually being a lower countertop, my wife being short uses it as a mixing counter with the electric mixer. 20a GFI.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't think I quite agree here Dennis.
210.52(B) requires all kitchen (dining, etc) to be served by 20 amp circuits.
Admitingly it's a fine line but if the desk is in the kitchen....................

I thought I had deleted the first sentence. I started arguing that it was okay but then I read the article and said it was clear that all kitchen recep. need to be on the SABC. I will edit it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wouldn't use the word all. The dishwasher, refrig, range hood/microwave or garbage disposal can all be on 15 amp circuits.

Bullcub145

It's in the kitchen, it's a counter top. One person might use it to pay bills. Usually being a lower countertop, my wife being short uses it as a mixing counter with the electric mixer. 20a GFI.

I agree here, the simple fact that if you move. If someone new moves in and decides to use the area for a typical countertop, then it would then need to be GFCI protected, and on a 20A circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.