Switch leg in exam room in a dialysis center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncwirenut

I must admit that I do not have the 2011 code book before me, but I am being told that all of the wiring in the exam room in a dialysis center must have redundant grounding including the light circuit. The light is on the ceiling and the switch is located at the door. As long as the switch was not in the patient care vicinity and the light was over 6'6" from the floor I did not think this applied.

DetroitEE

You are correct about the light and the switch. 517.13(B) Exception No. 2 permits you to use the conduit as the EGC as long as the light is at least 7'-6" above the floor, and the switch is outside of the patient vicinity.

That being said, if you have specifications you are building to, they may require the insulated grounding conductor for the lights and switches, even though it's not required by code.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I must admit that I do not have the 2011 code book before me, but I am being told that all of the wiring in the exam room in a dialysis center must have redundant grounding including the light circuit. The light is on the ceiling and the switch is located at the door. As long as the switch was not in the patient care vicinity and the light was over 6'6" from the floor I did not think this applied.

The redundant ground is not required however, the metallic raceway or sheath is.

Basically there is no change to the requirement, the insulated conductor EGC is not needed for fixtures above 7'6" or light switches outside of the patient vicintity but 517.13(A) must be met.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.