emergency light wont turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.
i installed a bug eye emergency light today and when i turned the circuit back on the light came on! so i turned it off again and of course it stayed on. there are no emer. circuits with it just a general lighting and battery back up, i checked the wiring everything was good, any ideas? it was towards the end of the day so i had to wrap it up. interested to see if its still on when i go back tomorrow, but any ideas on why this happened would be appreciated.
thanks, john

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I would take another fixture with you when you go back.

I'd verify the fixture you installed is actually getting voltage. If you've already checked the factory wiring and everything checks out, none of the factory pigtails are loose, etc, I'd replace the fixture with the new one you brought. It's not worth the time to troubleshoot, just take the old one back and request a credit.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It may be set up for HID lighting, those have a timer that turns off the battery light after 10-15 minutes of power restoration, which allows the HID lighting to cool down enough to restart.

i should've also mentioned i installed three of them today, and of course it had to be the last one! they weren't anything special no h.i.d. or anything like that. and also the charging lightcame on as normal too, but everytime i pushed the test button nothing would happen.

Last edited:

hurk27

Make sure you didnt wire to the wrong voltage, if you sent 277 (orange/red) into the 120 volt lead (black) it will fry the relay and battery charger, had a worker do this and the lamps stayed on battery and would not change back, hopefully its just a loose wire or it can be a bad unit.

Oh and the lamps will go out, after the battery goes dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.