Water spill on communications cable - how much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmiller01

I'm looking at a site where type CMP Cat 6 communications cable had been run into a communications room. An HVAC contractor was filling the system running overhead with plain water when an estimated 2-3 gallons of water was spilled onto the pile of un-terminated cables lying on the floor below. The cables were discovered approximately 15 minutes later, and dried off and left hanging from a rack. Being plenum cable, the tinned copper stranded conductors are insulated in polyethylene and bundled in pairs in a flame-retardant PVC jacket. The question is whether this event was sufficient to damage these cables? I wouldn't think so, but need something definitive one way or the other. I tried calling the manufacturer & got some guy who was completely clueless.

hurk27

The only problem that could have happened is if the ends were soaked, as it could wick into the cable, but I don't even think this can happen as most cat 6 don't have any paper liners that would wick up the water.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'm looking at a site where type CMP Cat 6 communications cable had been run into a communications room. An HVAC contractor was filling the system running overhead with plain water when an estimated 2-3 gallons of water was spilled onto the pile of un-terminated cables lying on the floor below. The cables were discovered approximately 15 minutes later, and dried off and left hanging from a rack. Being plenum cable, the tinned copper stranded conductors are insulated in polyethylene and bundled in pairs in a flame-retardant PVC jacket. The question is whether this event was sufficient to damage these cables? I wouldn't think so, but need something definitive one way or the other. I tried calling the manufacturer & got some guy who was completely clueless.

And neither do I.

Status
Not open for further replies.